Abbreviated Brand. "MADE IN ENG"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boringgeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
On a thread below, titled "Brace query : Stanley No 909" a couple of us discussed a brand on a tool which reads "MADE IN ENG". I am certain this is not a case of faulty branding, time eroding the rest of the brand or overenthusiastic cleaning.
I have never encountered this abbreviation of England on any tool and wonder if anyone here has.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Loads of times, it’s so common that I’ve never really thought about it. I think a lot of the Stanley gear has it especially.

Thanks ZippityNZ, I don't know a lot about planes, I'm flat out trying to get my head around braces. Until the No 909 came to light in Aus and then ED65 found two, I'd never heard of that model or the style of branding before. What era do you think the plane is from?
Cheers,
Geoff.

Boringgeoff":1cr1e2ha said:
Thanks ZippityNZ................... What era do you think the plane is from?
Cheers,
Geoff.

Unlike "Made in USA" Stanley planes, I do not believe that there is a reliable method of identifying Stanley planes which are made in England :(

Hopefully, one of the other contributors out there in cyber space can provide you (and me) with an approximation :)

I should have added that lack of space could be a reason for the abbreviation on the 110, but no such excuse on the 909.
I've made the comment before that researching US tools is a doddle compared to British or Australian makers, which is why forums like this are such a valuable resource.
Cheers,
Geoff.

I reckon "MADE IN ENG" dates from a time when practical engineers were in charge in Sheffield tool makers. A longer mark could quite likely have been too big to fit in the machine or too difficult to strike by hand. If the text was smaller it would have been too indistinct to read.
The fact that it would have been cheaper would have been an unexpected bonus to Yorkshire folk who are famous for their love of spending money! :wink:

(It's also the same length as MADE IN USA so any design used in both countries would work without any other modifications.)

Boringgeoff":1wob3rs7 said:
any chance of a few "for instances" or a photo or two?

You've shown me up now! :lol: I honestly cannot think of anything concrete off the top of my head that I could say "It's like that on X tool".

I suspect AndyT, as usual :) , is dead on the money when he mentions that
AndyT":1wob3rs7 said:
(It's also the same length as MADE IN USA so any design used in both countries would work without any other modifications.)

Which I suppose is why In my head I think it's more prevalent on the Stanley stuff, since the designs were shared between the USA and England factories. They couldn't squeeze England in but they could get ENG. I'll have a good look over my stuff and see if I can spot anything, fairly certain I've got chisels or something else that has Sheffield, ENG on them.

As far as I know the reason for Stanley to buy into J A Chapman in 1937 was to get a foot hold in the UK. What I've seen of the Chapman / Stanley braces is that they gradually transitioned the Chapman models to become Stanley GB which included some Stanley USA innovations but an entirely British based numbering system.
Suddenly out of the blue comes a number (909) and brand style (MADE IN ENG.) that I've not encountered before.
Now I understand the points raised regarding space restrictions which is certainly relevant in the case of the No 110 plane as shown by ZippityNZ but in the case of the brace no such space restrictions exist. Add to this the resemblance of the 909 towards a US design rather than a British one and my hypothesis is that Stanley USA were in fact pulling the wool (said wool probably sourced from Australia) over the eyes of the British populace by their nefarious action.
I need to get my hands on an example of this brace so if any of you have one lying around you'd like to sell I'd be interested in relieving you of it.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Latest posts

Back