Abandoned car

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Glitch ,
I have just sped read your RAC link, and to quote;

You can declare a SORN under the following circumstances:
  • If you intend to keep the vehicle in question on a driveway, in a garage, or on private land for a period of time. It cannot be parked on any kind of public road.
  • If the vehicle is uninsured (even for a short time) because of a delay in renewing a policy.
  • If you plan to salvage parts from the vehicle before it is scrapped.
  • If you are buying a car and plan to keep it off the road.

@Glitch ,
I have just sped read your RAC link, and to quote;

You can declare a SORN under the following circumstances:
  • If you intend to keep the vehicle in question on a driveway, in a garage, or on private land for a period of time. It cannot be parked on any kind of public road.
  • If the vehicle is uninsured (even for a short time) because of a delay in renewing a policy.
  • If you plan to salvage parts from the vehicle before it is scrapped.
  • If you are buying a car and plan to keep it off the road.

But in the table they provide it says not in a garden or car park.
I'm trying to find the law that supports that.
Car Park open to public makes sense. Garden seems a bit weird.

Motor Traders have an exemption but only if stored (until sale) on their premises.

I would suggest that whoever wrote that table, has made the errors.
Probably they should differentiate between public car parks and private ones.
My interpretation is that the spirit of this law lies in keeping a SORNed
vehicle on private property and not public property.

if it were me I think I would be tempted to plaster the windscreen with sticky back leaflets that were hard to remove but then I guess that might backfire if they are unable to see to drive the car away :LOL:

as the v5 is not proof of ownership and has not proof or ownership written on it, wouldn't this be theft by finding and selling stolen goods?

adidat
not had any problems in that regard. I would imagine it's due to DVLA not receiving any challenge to the V5 request. In my case all the cars had been sitting for over 6 months in the jags case 5 years.

I would suggest that whoever wrote that table, has made the errors.
Probably they should differentiate between public car parks and private ones.
My interpretation is that the spirit of this law lies in keeping a SORNed
vehicle on private property and not public property.

I agree it doesn't ring true but I can't find any definitive legislation on it.
I agree the spirit of the law is it can't go on the public highway.

Irrespective of location it either needs to be taxed or SORN in which case DVLA should have been interested.

If the car had been left there for some time then it could be defined as abandoned/dumped under the Refuse Disposal (Amenity) Act 1978 and the local council should deal with it.

(1)Any person who, without lawful authority,—

(a)abandons on any land in the open air, or on any other land forming part of a [F2highway][F2road], a motor vehicle or anything which formed part of a motor vehicle and was removed from it in the course of dismantling the vehicle on the land; or

(b)abandons on any such land any thing other than a motor vehicle, being a thing which he has brought to the land for the purpose of abandoning it there,

shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine of an amount not exceeding £100

I agree it doesn't ring true but I can't find any definitive legislation on it.
I agree the spirit of the law is it can't go on the public highway.

Irrespective of location it either needs to be taxed or SORN in which case DVLA should have been interested.

If the car had been left there for some time then it could be defined as abandoned/dumped under the Refuse Disposal (Amenity) Act 1978 and the local council should deal with it.

(1)Any person who, without lawful authority,—

(a)abandons on any land in the open air, or on any other land forming part of a [F2highway][F2road], a motor vehicle or anything which formed part of a motor vehicle and was removed from it in the course of dismantling the vehicle on the land; or

(b)abandons on any such land any thing other than a motor vehicle, being a thing which he has brought to the land for the purpose of abandoning it there,

shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine of an amount not exceeding £100

It’s confirmed here that “Your vehicle is off the road if you do not keep or use it on a public road, for example if it’s in a garage, on a drive or on private land.”

https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification

I have on 3 occasions done this with old abandoned cars, 2 Alfa GTV6s and an old XK120. They all made cracking winter projects and were sold quite legally once finished.

I hope you dont live near me 😆
Do you go around with a klom airbag and pry tools, looking for 'projects'? 😆😂

Just been thinking about this.....

Can i order an austin healey 3000?
I'll give you a couple of k for one! Blue if possible 😉

Mark 1 Mini Cooper S please
Prefer Surf Blue with a white roof but will consider other colours

4.2 E type please not bothered about colour just running with MOT show condition if poss!!

Cheers James

Regarding SORN. I have one vehicle which is regularly SORN'd and it's always been parked on my drive. However, the owner of a vehicle is liable to prosecution for parking their vehicle even on their own their garden if the garden doesn't have dropped curbs for driveway access.

It's against the law to drive a vehicle across a pavement without a dropped curb and doing so would render the owner liable to prosecution and it does happen.

I wouldn't have thought it would affect the SORN statutory rights regarding the vehicle but it would be worth checking out to see if dropped curbs are a requirement for the land upon which the SORN'd vehicle is parked as I've no doubt some smart-ass council employee would be only too eager to add one to their list of catches for that day.

Regarding SORN. I have one vehicle which is regularly SORN'd and it's always been parked on my drive. However, the owner of a vehicle is liable to prosecution for parking their vehicle even on their own their garden if the garden doesn't have dropped curbs for driveway access.

It's against the law to drive a vehicle across a pavement without a dropped curb and doing so would render the owner liable to prosecution and it does happen.

I wouldn't have thought it would affect the SORN statutory rights regarding the vehicle but it would be worth checking out to see if dropped curbs are a requirement for the land upon which the SORN'd vehicle is parked as I've no doubt some smart-ass council employee would be only too eager to add one to their list of catches for that day.
My driveway is on the same level as the estate road turning/parking area with just the top edge of sunken kerbing stones marking the boundary, so your theory does not apply, as I said earlier, my motorhome spent many months with the front wheels over this line - ignored by DVLA & nothing to do with local council. We did get two 'abandoned' cars removed from the splay of the junction with the main rd. ,co-operation with county council & West Mercia. One car was removed & parked in a pub car park 2 miles away, Foreign workers!

My driveway is on the same level as the estate road turning/parking area with just the top edge of sunken kerbing stones marking the boundary, so your theory does not apply, as I said earlier, my motorhome spent many months with the front wheels over this line - ignored by DVLA & nothing to do with local council. We did get two 'abandoned' cars removed from the splay of the junction with the main rd. ,co-operation with county council & West Mercia. One car was removed & parked in a pub car park 2 miles away, Foreign workers!
All I'm quoting are the rules regarding the offence of driving over footpaths which do not have lowered kerbs. That is why anyone parking on/over a footpath is liable to a fixed penalty fine if spotted by a warden etc.

In towns where parking is very restricted by such as yellow lines, people often knock down their small garden walls and create a parking area in the front garden of their house but unless the owner of the house applies for planning permission and carries out curb lowering, they can be prosecuted.

You probably live in a similar home to mine where the cobblestone block paving of my driveway are up to the roadway (also constructed of cobblestones) that the council owns/is responsible for maintaining. The boundary edging of my driveway relative to the road is barely 2cm higher than the road but that was approved by the planning department when plans were approved before the small estate was first built.

Back