Abandoned car

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
We own a small carpark which goes with a couple of local shops.

On Wednesday evening a car was parked in it (14 plate Ford Focus) and has been there ever since. CCTV shows some lad in high vis gear parking the car and then walking away.

Quick check shows car has an MOT but no Tax.

The Council and the police don't seem very interested as it's parked on private land.

Asked around and put it on Facebook etc but nothing.

Who knows it might go as quickly as it appeared but it's just rude and annoying.

Any ideas or advice on what to do?

Thanks, Doug

Unless you charge for your parking it is probably free off road parking while the car is not needed and no risk of being done for no tax. For all sort of legal reasons I cannot remember you are now stuck with it until they come back to move it. From the little I know it is very difficult to get rid of it legally. Others may know more or different.

It may be advantageous if your CCTV is very faulty ;)

Interestingly I once had a neighbour who had a seat ibiza parked in front of their garage. They had bought it to fix up ( broken bumper and small dent ). It sat there for a few weeks then dissapeared. The police came knocking and said it had been stolen, did we know anything about it? No.

Turned out one of our other neighbours ( an elderly guy ) didnt like seeing it there so he called a scrappy who happily picked up it with a low loader and took it with no keys and no paperwork 😆🤣. I think phil got 50 quid for it

We had a car parked outside our house in a cul de sac and it was use as a drugs base people coming and going, police weren't interested so a neighbour with dodgy connections got word out it was being watch as was soon removed....

Thanks for all the advice, I am pleased to say it has now gone.

The CCTV wasn't very clear because it was dark and they were quite far away but someone thought it looked like a lad from a local garage.

I left a message on the garages answerphone and 10 mins later the car was gone, I got a simple message saying "Moved car, sorry for any inconvenience."

There are clear signs saying parking for the shops only, guess they wanted the car out of the way for some reason, glad it got nipped in the bud before it became a regular thing.

Some people are so rude, last week I saw a family park up, eat a McDonalds in their car then just tip all the rubbish out of the window and drive off, just unbelievable what some people think is acceptable.

I think I shall be adding some No Overnight Parking signs.

We had somebody dump a push bike right by our driveway last year. I waited for three days, then posted it on Freegle. Had three enquiries, gone the same day. Probably can't do that with a car...

Before you put up signs, make sure you get advice on what and how to word, also ensure that they are clear, easy to see and positioned in multiple places.

No matter what you think you can say, if they are not clearly visible, unambiguous, and conform to signage standards, they are unlikely to be un-enforceable.

Get advice and save yourself the hassle and problems.

if someone leaves a car on your land, just fill in the application for a V5 in your name online. The current named person is sent notification and has 14 days to respond if no notification of sale has been received by DVLA on r4cceipt of your application. Once the new paperwork arrives do what you like with it.
I have on 3 occasions done this with old abandoned cars, 2 Alfa GTV6s and an old XK120. They all made cracking winter projects and were sold quite legally once finished.

if someone leaves a car on your land, just fill in the application for a V5 in your name online. The current named person is sent notification and has 14 days to respond if no notification of sale has been received by DVLA on r4cceipt of your application. Once the new paperwork arrives do what you like with it.
I have on 3 occasions done this with old abandoned cars, 2 Alfa GTV6s and an old XK120. They all made cracking winter projects and were sold quite legally once finished.

as the v5 is not proof of ownership and has not proof or ownership written on it, wouldn't this be theft by finding and selling stolen goods?

adidat

If it is not taxed then it needs to be declared SORN.
Even if declared SORN it cannot be stored in a Car Park or even in your garden.

Some people are so rude, last week I saw a family park up, eat a McDonalds in their car then just tip all the rubbish out of the window and drive off, just unbelievable what some people think is acceptable.

Not rude, ignorant. I saw exactly the same - three metres from a bin.
I saw a family do it with F&C wrappings on our avenue some years ago. As we approached the car my wife looked at me and said no ........ no.......... please don't. I threw the litter back into the car and told them to go and litter their own road. The woman's face was a picture. I was eighteen stone + and built like a brick shi ........ outhouse, which helped. :)

Last edited:
Pretty sure that’s not correct. I was under the impression it couldn’t be kept/used on a public road (public being defined as a road maintained at the public’s expense).
Correct, the SORN is off road notice, as long as it’s on private land, not adopted highway, you’re fine.

Even if declared SORN it cannot be stored in a Car Park or even in your garden.
Have the rules changed lately? A while ago I stored a SORNed car on a relative's driveway. It never occured to me, or anyone else, that this might not be allowed and I never had any issues due to it. Maybe I was just lucky or the rules were different back then.

Where should a SORNed car be stored?

(Even if declared SORN it cannot be stored in a Car Park or even in your garden.)
I agree with Steve, he beat me to it ! You cannot keep it or park it on a public highway but you can keep it on any private land or road. We have a sports car and run it from April to October then put it on SORN , it’s parked on the drive under a car port thereafter.
You can also drive it on a public road to an MOT station, it must of course be insured

Pretty sure that’s not correct. I was under the impression it couldn’t be kept/used on a public road (public being defined as a road maintained at the public’s expense).
Correct, it cannot be used parked/used on a public road. My SORNed car sits on my drive. Previously I had a motor home parked on my drive, because of the length of it (motorhome) the front wheels where off the drive on the turning area, one day two guys in a DVLA marked van parked up watching mine & a neighbour's SORN vehicles. Nothing was ever heard. Just shows DVLA do check.

Back