Aaargh, . Legal help???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilyweely

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks, my brothers Mrs has left him after 20 years, and has taken off with all the monies and assets. He put the house he bought to rent out for a steady income, for them both, in her name, for tax reasons, and also dealt with other assets in a similar fashion. She has left with everything. He has proof that he paid for said assets and she has never worked a day in her life (outside of the house 'wife' duties) .
They were not married and have a daughter of 18 years of age. She didn't have a penny when they met, whilst my brother had just had a claim settled and other money awarded worth £200k.
Basically what I need to know is if he has any chance of recouping any of the money taken bearing in mind the fact that she has title but he can prove he paid for it all. He does not expect to leave her penniless, just wants to be treated fairly. She is being hostile and will not communicate without it being through a solicitor.
He is sat next to me, and is messed up. We have taken some legal steps but God knows he cannot afford (and neither can I) to throw good money after bad. I believe he can take steps to recoup the money, or some of, but don't want to advise him such unless sure there is a chance. Surely, if he can prove he paid for it all, with money either earnt by him, or - in the majority of the instances - owned by him before they met then he is entitled to a share of the money. I am confident that there must have been other folk, and plenty of 'em, who have had similar situations (read nightmares) and could p'raps help.
Sorry to beg help after a long absence, but i have been reading if not posting! :lol:

Thanks a lot folks, and best wishes for Xmas.

Neil

That's tough, and a sadly common situation. I suspect the only recourse will be a solicitor, as the legal stuff is all nicely sewn up by them. My other advice would he to ask around about other folks' experience of solicitors before chosing one. We had lousy service from three out of five solicitors we had to use for house purchases and other things - and some of them were not that far from you over the border into Bucks.

Dick
Thanks mate, yes it is murder. Sad, the whole affair has turned very sour and has inevitably led to the breakdown of relationships reaching far further than the obvious.
Accusations abound and the only real winners are the solicitors etc....
Thanks for your answer.
Neil

I can only agree with Dickm and wish you and your brother well. Good and I mean good legal advice is what you need.

Looking at the timing of your posts I hope that you both have switched off and 'lost' all your phones, disconnected the computer (so you don't do anything you wish you hadn't later) and gone on a good water-up.

Legally the house is hers as its in her name nomatter who earnd the money to purchase it
Why was he putting it into her name for tax reasons ?
serves himself right as he shoud have put it into joint names

There can be lots of good reasons for putting the house in just one person's name, ours for instance is in my wife's name, because with me being self-employed we got a better interest rate by doing so, her income alone was enough to get the amount we needed so why pay more if you don't have to?

Admittedly it's a slightly different situation if you're not married, I'd imagine he might not have such a strong legal claim to it, however I'm sure there was a good reason for doing it that way.

I'd be seeking better advice than your likely to get from a woodworking forum, and fast.
He's put himself in a very difficult situation :(

Thanks to Alan and you guys who took the time out to answer. He has now got himself a decent brief and although she continues to suprise us with her, well it is devious, we seem to be making headway.
Thanks again, and best wishes at Xmas to you all.
Neil

Lowlife":3suzlint said:
There can be lots of good reasons for putting the house in just one person's name, ours for instance is in my wife's name, because with me being self-employed we got a better interest rate by doing so, her income alone was enough to get the amount we needed so why pay more if you don't have to?

Doing a joint mortgage application with the wife just earning and you down as a "house-husband" wouldn't alter the rate being offered. But as you say being married it's a different situation than being unmarried.

Neil - hope there's some light at the end of the tunnel for your brother.

Dibs

neilyweely":22qhqifc said:
Sad, the whole affair has turned very sour and has inevitably led to the breakdown of relationships reaching far further than the obvious.
Neil

Neil, I've only just seen this, sorry have no knowledge or experience of this kind of thing but I do hope your brother can get something sorted and usually a good solicitor is the way to do that. It will cost but often the first meeting is free, and maybe some extended repayment terms could be agreed.

There's a new year comming up and hopefully a new life for both of you.

Latest posts

Back