AA rechargable batteries and charger recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acewoodturner

Established Member
Reaction score
The rechargeable batteries I bought a few years ago are no longer holding any charge so I am on the hunt for some new ones and a charger to go with them.
I want to use them mainly in my digital camera but the telly remote and a few other items could possibly be doing with some as well.
Anybody got some good recommendations?

Any recommendations you receive will likely be what others have bought, and mine will not be different. For the past 10 years, I have been very happy with Eneloop Pro 2500mAh NiMH batteries for my speedlights and remote triggers. The AA batteries are a bit pricey for a 4-pack, but when I had eight Nikon speedlights and Pocketwizard triggers mounted in various locations, I didn't want to run the risk of a set of batteries going flat during a photo shoot.

For normal household applications, I use the Eneloop 1900mAh NiMH batteries. These hold a decent charge for TV remotes, clocks, cordless phones, and wireless computer mice and keyboards. I have an HP 48GX calculator that has been using the same batteries for almost two years without a charge, and I use it several times a day. There is a version of the battery packs that come with plastic cases for storage.

I use the Maha MH-C800S charger because it can charge eight AA or AAA batteries at a time, in any combination, and has a reconditioning function.

The Amazon links are for reference only, as there might be other sources that suit you.

I've never put rechargeable batteries in a TV remote, just used regular ones and replaced them maybe once a year.

For those putting rechargeable ones in a remote - how often do you have to recharge them? Appreciate it maybe largely down to how often you press buttons. :lol:

John Brown":28gxf8ez said:
I can't really see the point for remote controls.

I suppose that is\was the starting position for me, i.e. change them that rarely, but open to the idea and seeing what other folk do\use.

I think the main battery powered thingies in the house are the cordless phones but they already came with rechargeable batteries and the base stations keep them charged. Only remaining thing is the TV remotes and given how cheap a small pack of alkaline batteries are from Ikea - tend to pick up a few every time I pass or go in.

But if the if they last quite some time in the remote between charges might be tempted to look at them from a green perspective tho.

Be good to hear from someone who's using rechargeable ones in a TV remote, i.e. frequency of charging.

I have a Sharp widescreen TV, and it notifies me with an on-screen message when the remote batteries are low. I think my Sky box did the same when the Sky remote batteries were low. I've changed the batteries in my TV and Sky remote once in the past three years. However, I have so many Eneloop batteries for other stuff, that there's no problem adding the remotes to the battery schedule.

My cordless phones came with NiMH batteries, but they are rubbish and started to fail during the first year of use. After a few months, they started overheating while in the base units and would only last about five minutes during a call. When I added another phone to my house three years ago, I tossed the batteries that were included and put a pair of Eneloops in it. The original Eneloops I put in the first phones nine years ago are still working great.

cordless phone batteries fail because they spend more time sitting on the charger than not which is the complete opposite to how rechargeable batteries are designed to be used

IKEA rechargeable AA batteries are made by Eneloop and are much cheaper.

Amazon have good deals on chargers at the moment.

HTH

Fidget":vd2ncglv said:
IKEA rechargeable AA batteries are made by Eneloop and are much cheaper.

Amazon have good deals on chargers at the moment.

HTH

Yes they are, and the IKEA ones are excellent.

I use a Opus BT-C3100 Charger, it's a great bit of kit, not expensive and charges a huge range of batteries. I bought it because I wanted to charge both Lithium and NiMh cells.

It's a long time since I tried rechargeable batteries, simply because back in the day their usage time was dreadful compared to "normal" batteries.

Have things changed?

Geoff_S":348k6mj4 said:
It's a long time since I tried rechargeable batteries, simply because back in the day their usage time was dreadful compared to "normal" batteries.

Have things changed?
I'm also following with interest. My radio earmuffs at work eat through batteries reasonably quickly.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Dibs-h":2owjii73 said:
Maybe some said and I missed it - anyone using them in a TV remote and what's the frequency of charging?

I'm sure they will last a year or more with normal use, mind you if you channel surf from morning to night they probably won't . So, it depends :D

Geoff_S":3c5dyt7s said:

Have things changed?

YES! most certainly.

Ikea Ladda have a capacity up to 2450mAh, this is about the same as a good quality Alkaline battery. I have seen tests of Duracell batteries getting around 2500mAh in testing.

The issue that can arise with rechargeable compared to an Alkaline is that the voltage is slightly lower in the rechargable, for most electronics this isn't an issue as their circuitry has inbuilt voltage compensation but for some (especially cheaper electronics) they will fail prematurely because the voltage has dropped too low even though the battery still have plenty of capacity. I have 2 sets of scales that are like this, even with freshly charged cells they do not last very long before they say low battery simply due to the voltage. Not a massive deal when I am at home as I just switch for new cells and top up the others, if I were travelling then I take alkalines for those products.

Apart from those few items I mentioned I use rechargeable cells in everything else.

There are some very good recommendations here. Thank you gentlemen. Dont think I will go near asda for them this time

Latest posts

Back