A

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have an Arnold Laver near you, they are okay for run of the mill stuff like Oak etc.

Not sure what they charge for one off delivery but I have an account with them and delivery is free as long as you are spending probably £100+.

I get all my wood delivered unseen, any bad pieces I don't accept so they know not to send any (y)

I'm actually midway between Cambridge & Huntingdon on the A14, not in Cambridge itself

Have you tried Hunts Timber in Huntingdon? I don’t think they hold stock of beech but they’ll get it in for you. I’ve always found them expensive but as others have pointed out cheap is often cheap for a reason. I think it’s free delivery over £100 there.

When I started out making furniture I bought from britishhardwoods in Yorkshire. I ordered over the phone and the delivery charges were reasonable. I have since found a local supplier for oak, but do still order from them for American walnut and beech on occasion. SL hardwoods are reasonable but more expensive - have bought from there as well both in person and online.

Have you considered getting a roof rack for your car? I'd recommend a trip to MAC timbers, you could easily spend hours looking through his selection of stuff. Mikes also incredibly helpful and a personal friend.

I run a small hobby based sawmill up near spalding but do have a drop off at Yaxley on the outskirts of Peterborough, but most of what I supply is done to order as I don't have the ability to store much stock.

There is also now an Arnold Laver in Peterborough on the Hampton industrial estates.

Cheers, Tom.

Whilst I understand the advice of going to look at boards before buying them, the reality is I'd just be staring at some wood and really not having the slightest clue what I was either looking at, or for. Oh and I don't have a car so going to timber merchants is difficult anyway.

@sebg If you're on the A14, you could go to English Hardwoods in Geddington too.

Whilst I understand the advice of going to look at boards before buying them, the reality is I'd just be staring at some wood and really not having the slightest clue what I was either looking at, or for........

Look at both sides: are there big horrible knots, holes, or cracks? Sight down from the end, both edges.........is it roughly straight and roughly flat? If no to the former and yes to the latter.....is it the right size? Yes?.... then buy it.

Back