A visit to Wealden

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Not really a review this, just a couple of remarks.

I had to make an emergency dash to Wealden this morning for a couple of router bits. I could have ordered over the phone but their excellent postal delivery would only have arrived tomorrow and I wanted to get on, so at 09:00 hours sharp, I was at East Peckham in Kent, some 25 miles from where I live to buy what I needed.

I asked the gentleman who served me where they had their bits made. He explained that their sources depended on current prices and currency fluctuations. They have a number of suppliers who make bits to Wealden's order from CAD drawings supplied (over the internet) by Wealden who do the bit design.

He said they order from Taiwan, Italy, Israel, China and elsewhere (I forget all the places). Design and quality specs are provided by Wealden and they basically get what they want. At the moment they seem to favour Taiwan. it apparently has the very best machinery. Although they are using Israel a lot at the moment. Italy seems fairly far down his pecking order at present.

He did say that Titman are the only native producer of router bits but noted that their machinery was rather elderly. - not a comment on their quality (which is probably excellent) but more of a comment on their prices, which I had remarked as pretty high.

Italy seems fairly far down his pecking order at present.

Italy's off my pecking order altogether!
Interesting about what you said about Taiwan, though. I was at Terex Benford's factory recently, and they were saying that Taiwan was their first port of call when outsourcing because of the levels of investment they undertake, the sheer ingenuity and 'can do' approach.

Steve

Back