A vice problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corset

Established Member
Reaction score
Not nearly as exciting as it sounds.
I recently bought a second hand record 84-34 quick release vice. While it has seen some use it is is in reasonable condition. However it takes about 5 turns of the handle to change from winding in- winding out. I have checked the worm gear and the acme thread and i can see little sign of wear. I am not sure what the problem is.
When I got the vice a manky half rusted washer (domed from use) was dangling on the end of the thread but before the rear stop I think somethng may be missing here?
The quick release seems to work fine.
Has anybody got any idea what is happening here or what is missing?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Owen

Quick release mechanisms rely on a half nut thingy like the screw cutter engagement on a lathe. It sounds to me like the half nut is not engaging as fast as it should. Are there any clunks when it does start to wind in/out? If not it could still be the same problem but just gungey and slow to get back into mesh.
I have the Record 22 which has buttress thread rather than acme which means that it has a right old clunk re engaging. Yours should be smoother.

Memory may be playing tricks, but isn't there usually a thick washer and spring on the end of the thread to keep the screw nipped up against the front of the vice? If that is missing, it would produce the symptoms you describe.

Thankyou.
A spring and washer makes sense as it looks like a tensioned model.
Dear Roger that is a woodworking vice and mine is an engineers. I will see if they have a copy of mine on it.
Owen

Perfect, sadly shows I have no parts missing so I will do some shimming and see how I get on!
Owen

Back