A very small very large tool gloat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been intending to buy the Axi 350 bandsaw for a while so was very chuffed when I had an email saying they were discounting lots of cutting stuff this week.

Sods law. They were giving 10 percent off the one below and the one above the one I wanted. Oh bu@@er.

But their dirty little ploy worked. I have ordered the 400. Just imagine how quickly I will be able to bu@@er up long planks with this little baby :)

Somebody tell me its not rubbish.

Sorry Graham, but it is rubbish, for a certain value of rubbish. The cut was great eventually, but it took a long time and a trip back to the workshop to sort it out. First of all the tracking was totally off, which ended up with me having to adjust the bottom wheel on the advice of one of their engineers. Not that big a deal, except the manual says don't touch the bottom wheel. Then the bottom bearings could not be adjusted properly and so they came and collected the machine, drilled out the bearing block and when it came back it was perfect, but it had been machined badly in the first place (around 5-10 mil off, which I think is huge on a machine like this). Apart from the fence guide which was damaged in transit and which they immediately replaced. After a few weeks it developed a knocking sound which, when I investigated, turned out to be the tyre on the lower wheel come loose.

Now, I used the saw perhaps 20-30 times in the 8 months I had it, but at nowhere near the cutting capacity and for less than a few minutes at a time. I expect something which costs that amount to be engineered right, straight from the factory and it clearly was not. It may be that I got a Friday afternoon special, but both the engineer and other people have said that there is a problem with that particular model.

Fair play to Axminster, they took it back for a full refund without any quibble at all and when I took the table off for transport, about twenty small metal shims fell out of various places, which shows that either Axminster or the factory had to correct lots of defects in the manufacture. I can't praise Axi highly enough for their customer service, but the quality control, certainly on that machine, was shocking. Personally, there is no way I would buy that model again, but I have a friend who has the 350 and she has had no problems at all with it in the year or so she has had it.

MickCheese":809se22e said:
It's not rubbish.

Feel better now? :D

Mick

I did until I git to the next post. :)
Noggsy, Sorry to hear about your trouble, hopefully mine will have been made on a Tuesday.

Graham, it's no problem to me mate now, I was just trying to warn you really. I hope yours is great, but I'd just say that if you find any niggles whatsoever, get Axi to sort them straightaway or just send it back. In essence, it's a great and very solid machine with a great depth of cut. Give me a shout if there is anything I can do (having taken the bloody thing apart a few times!).

Good luck,

Noggsy

Grahamshed":2sy4bvgi said:
MickCheese":2sy4bvgi said:
It's not rubbish.

Feel better now? :D

Mick

I did until I git to the next post. :)
Noggsy, Sorry to hear about your trouble, hopefully mine will have been made on a Tuesday.

Sorry that was just my strange sense of humour.

Hope your purchase proves to be a good one.

Mick

Back