A very sensible sharpening system..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take your sharp kitchen knife out to the workshop and see if it will go through some offcuts, if it will it’s sharp

Ooh, a sharpening thread! If you really want to learn the true secrets of master sharpeners you could do worse than look at this . If you can't spare 11 minutes to watch the whole video, fast forward to 6:00 when the most important things are revealed.

MikeJ460 - there's no straightforward way of slowing down a single phase induction motor as far as I know, but a while ago I bought a Clarke grinder with a 'normal' (~2850 rpm) wheel at one end and a 'poor man's Tormek' at the other. I ended up stripping off the speed reduction gearbox from the slow end, but I'm sure it's on the shelves somewhere - yours for the asking if it might help your project.

Bob

Last edited:
Take your sharp kitchen knife out to the workshop and see if it will go through some offcuts, if it will it’s sharp

Take your sharp kitchen knife into the kitchen and see if it will go through a tomato, if it will it’s sharp enough.

Is there a touch of “the pot calling the kettle black” here?

On some subjects I have differing views but not that often, if my views generally align with a consensus on a subject and I can't add anything I tend not to to say anything. I agree far more often than I disagree or rather I don't differ enough to make what might be a useful contribution. I very rarely tell someone they are totally wrong on something, which is almost all Jacob ever does.

On some subjects I have differing views but not that often, if my views generally align with a consensus on a subject and I can't add anything I tend not to to say anything. I agree far more often than I disagree or rather I don't differ enough to make what might be a useful contribution. I very rarely tell someone they are totally wrong on something, which is almost all Jacob ever does.
Nah I think you are wrong on that one. :rolleyes:

reading this thread it reminded me of my mum sharpening a carving knife on the front step of our old Victorion house in N. London....
I still have it somewhere...the knife.....very hollow grind in the middle...
I think the step was limestone and once a week she would AJAX the step to keep it white.....
For those in foreign parts, Ajax was a scouring powder.....it was also used to remove Vitreouse enamal from iron baths.. as well as dirt...hahaha.....
the good old days......how many on here can remember stuff like that.....?

When ar worra lad we didn't have knives we broke food up by bashing it with sticks and jumping on it.

Adam W....
glad u woz posh.....the only thing that came round our way was the rag n bone man
and those doing a flit with a hand cart.....hahaha...
Chaotic Bob,
thanks for the link....always respected the Japanese knife and tool makers somehow.....
I did notice the UK style ball pein hammer and never seen an open file like that used for roughing out the ally blank.....I guess the diamond abra file is here already.....?
How do u find stuff like that on the web.....
must try harder.....ta...

reading this thread it reminded me of my mum sharpening a carving knife on the front step of our old Victorion house in N. London....
I have heard of that but never seen it. I did see, in a "museum house", a stone mantlepiece above the living room fireplace that had a 1 inch hollow worn in it, which was said to be from sharpening kitchen knives over many years.

It would if a wire edge were constantly being formed.
You mean, that as the wire edge was removed, a new wire edge would be formed? But what if you were to remove the wire edge with something that is incapable of forming a wire edge, such as a piece of plastic, or oak? I don't think that you've thought this through.

You mean, that as the wire edge was removed, a new wire edge would be formed? But what if you were to remove the wire edge with something that is incapable of forming a wire edge, such as a piece of plastic, or oak? I don't think that you've thought this through.

If you are burnishing a softer steel with a very hard steel you could keep creating a wire edge.

If you are burnishing a softer steel with a very hard steel you could keep creating a wire edge.

This would be drawing. If the steel is soft enough, you could keep drawing the edge since you can work both sides. but the serrated steels just peel it right off, so it's not a big deal.

I think the step was limestone and once a week she would AJAX the step to keep it white.....
For those in foreign parts, Ajax was a scouring powder.....it was also used to remove Vitreouse enamal from iron baths.. as well as dirt...hahaha.....
Me, for one.

So a harder burnisher moving along an edge in order to remove a wire edge, would, immediately the wire edge is removed, and using the exact same contact patch, form another wire edge? Why, in the name of sanity, would anyone do this, if the only possible outcome would be to end up with a wire edge?

So a harder burnisher moving along an edge in order to remove a wire edge, would, immediately the wire edge is removed, and using the exact same contact patch, form another wire edge? Why, in the name of sanity, would anyone do this, if the only possible outcome would be to end up with a wire edge?
Good question! :ROFLMAO:
Careful - this way madness lies.
I'm sure a sharpening enthusiast will be along shortly with an incomprehensible answer.

Still use ajax on the porcelain tub here. Didn't know if it was maybe an american brand.

A red brick makes a decent knife sharpener in a pinch, but it'll leave a lot of coarse stray scratches.

Latest posts

Back