A very sad tale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -23547881/

Any apologists who support our 'open door' policy that gives free money to any Tom, Dick or Harry that fancies drifting into this country under the guise of whatever is the mot-du-jour of the Liberal-Lefties then take a look in the mirror because you ...yes you...share the blame for this couple's suicide pact.

am I missing something ....... or are you assuming a lot ..... the article says they were having benefit troubles ... whats that got to do with "open door" policy.

I think that the inference is that if charity begins at home then this couple may have got the support they needed rather than give it to the Toms, Dicks and Harrys that appear and demand cash from an ever decreasing purse?

Or am I just being selfish and thinking that anyone can get benifit tourisme in the U.K. now?

I paid all of my dues into the U.K. system until we moved over here 7 years back. If I were to return to England and need medical support whilst there I would have to bloody well pay for it! These scroungers who walk in illegially can stick there hand up and get it free and YOU are paying for it!

After reading two reports of this story my take is that mental health was probably the predominant cause. If there was a suicide pact it is indeed very sad and almost certainly could have been prevented by intervention, but withdrawing handouts to Johnny Foreigner wouldn't instantly make anyone care enough about their neighbour to look out for them.

monkeybiter":22d00dyx said:
After reading two reports of this story my take is that mental health was probably the predominant cause. If there was a suicide pact it is indeed very sad and almost certainly could have been prevented by intervention, but withdrawing handouts to Johnny Foreigner wouldn't instantly make anyone care enough about their neighbour to look out for them.

No but it would free up money for those more deserving. I have nothing against someone genuinely seeking asylum in this country. Unfortunately the majority of those arriving are opportunists come to grab whatever they can. If they were genuine asylum seekers then they would have their ID document with them or as much corroborating evidence as they can. The majority destroy their documents at the earliest opportunity to make it that bit more difficult for them to be repatriated. Viz the latest court case giving that opportunist a £17k payout.

RogerS":2pmstj2d said:
No but it would free up money for those more deserving. I have nothing against someone genuinely seeking asylum in this country. Unfortunately the majority of those arriving are opportunists come to grab whatever they can. If they were genuine asylum seekers then they would have their ID document with them or as much corroborating evidence as they can. The majority destroy their documents at the earliest opportunity to make it that bit more difficult for them to be repatriated. Viz the latest court case giving that opportunist a £17k payout.

OK, I now see where your coming from, I don't think I want to be associated with this thread any more, I'm out......

Fair enough, doctor Bob.

For clarification, I guess working two years at Lunar House plus project managing the introduction of the ARC card and fingerprinting system located at our points of entry for 'asylum seekers' and also the UK end of the European fingerprint system - EuroDac - I might just have a bit of firsthand experience.

Though I think the couple were 'motivated' , not quite the right word but, by more than just poverty in doing what they did I think Roger has a very valid point. There appears to be so much inconsistency in the way people are assessed, almost as if it is done on individual, personal 'whim' rather than genuine need.
<cue cries of 'Daily Mail' fools>
There are too many cases of scroungers, even prolific law breakers, getting preferential treatment whilst many who should get more help do not because they 'don't qualify'.
The point about lack of support from neighbours is also valid, that said is it really the neighbours responsibility?

Absolutely shameful as a neighbour to know that someone nearby is in that state and not to intervene. Downright disgraceful.

Better to have a little less oneself and for a neighbour not to starve.

Dibs

Perhaps the neighbour's did try to intervene and were rebuffed? Hard to say. It also depends on locality.....in London, living in a block of flats, anonymity seems to be the order of the day....out in a smaller town then a different kettle of fish. I know that the neighbours on one side of my mother keep an eye on her. But, if those neighbours did not have the 'caring' gene............??

Rog

When things are so bad - I wouldn't have thought an offer of assistance would be rebuffed, if it is genuine and with kindness.

Locality - yes, I see what you mean. But assuming occupants aren't transient, then there is nothing to stop anyone getting to know their neighbours and getting themselves out of their own comfort zones - i.e. putting the "can't be @rsed" mentality away and "doing unto others as you would others unto you".

Ultimately it's the "can do, will do" attitude that will achieve something, given the cutbacks all over the shop (which is another thread).

Dibs

So I as a Lefty-liberal am partly to blame for this tragic event?!

Insane, offensive, hyperbolic tosh.

Obviously the Tories would really help out the poor and needed! This kind of bizarre, ill concieved response makes me sad to be British. If the locals are like this, the more foreigners the better.

Farewell, General Chat!

When things are so bad - I wouldn't have thought an offer of assistance would be rebuffed,

Last winter an elderly couple were found dead from hypothermia, they had refused all offers of help. Social services were refused entry after concerned neighbours had alerted them. Am I the only one who remembers the case?

Roy.

Appears to be an awful situation. If only we knew the facts.

However, of all the terrible threads that appear on forums - this must be the worst that I have read. Quite how you reach your conclusions I'm not sure. What a funny world.

Digit":1047iz8q said:
When things are so bad - I wouldn't have thought an offer of assistance would be rebuffed,

Last winter an elderly couple were found dead from hypothermia, they had refused all offers of help. Social services were refused entry after concerned neighbours had alerted them. Am I the only one who remembers the case?

Roy.

Sorry - didn't come across that.

Dibs

Latest posts

Back