A vanishing workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
Maybe you have seen and read about the sad passing a short time ago of Andrew Varah the cabinet maker who was local to me.

One of the things that I loved were the beautiful "infinity models" they produced and if you have ever seen one you will know what I mean.http://www.varah.co.uk/GAL-infinity.htm

As some of you know I love old and interesting stuff so, when I heard from an old cabinet maker friend that he was going over prior to them having a dispersal sale at the workshop, I jumped at the chance to go with him and was amazed at the amount of stuff that they had stored away over the years.

I think there must be every species of wood represented there within those walls (the firewood pile would make pen turners weep!) and at least one dried fish skin (shagrin). Some of the veneers are stunningly beautiful and boxes with hundreds of "oyster cuts". All around you could see the benches that once had craftsmen working at them, now laden with surplus tools, timber and hardware that will hopefully find new owners and perhaps go on to inspire and create.

It is/was a lovely workshop in an idyllic setting and sadly theses days more and more of these old style country workshops are disappearing. There is an air of finality about the place but I'm glad I managed to get over and see it before the contents are re-distributed. The good news is that from what I was told the name of Varah will be continued.

Not sure if the forum allows me to tell you when the sale is on at the workshop but I'm sure that some of you would love to go along and see for yourself where great cabinet making took place and maybe take away a piece of history.....

This line can be moderated if need be...... As it is not an auction I cannot find any links to it but it is next weekend 13 & 14 oct CV23 0QL

Cheers
Andy

Amazing work!

toolsntat":1cyoj4m9 said:
....Not sure if the forum allows me to tell you when the sale is on at the workshop...

Cheers
Andy

Apparently not - I posted up my purchase of some olive wood for sale at a nursery where the trees had died, that I was put onto by another forum member and I have been Mod'd and told it is in breach.

I accept we don't want advert-city, but am still a bit confused how a 'heads-up' about eg a Lidl or Aldi sale, or the upcoming NEC exhibition is any different from me telling people where they can get hold of some wood at a great price.
Today I have asked Mods for clarification.

Cheers

Greg

Good grief, I see what you mean there Andy - many thanks for taking and sharing all those photos.

Did you really come home with just photos though? Not even a bag of 'firewood'?!

AndyT":39ngx2l8 said:
Good grief, I see what you mean there Andy - many thanks for taking and sharing all those photos.

Did you really come home with just photos though? Not even a bag of 'firewood'?!

Alas Andy, been a bit low on funds so had to resist the temptation :evil:
I did buy some sanding belts for my Makita and a E-ZEE READ steel square for £7 the lot :wink:

Have been invited back up to help out with sorting through what is left 8) there is still a lot to be rid of and maybe I will find a few bits. Mind you space is at a premium this end, but as the stuff was cheap during the sale it will be hard to turn down anything that has that even cheaper "need to get rid of" price :lol:
I really hope the Oak Gothic carved church fittings have gone cause they were gorgeous (I think they were from his fathers church)....

Ought ya fancy Andy? I know there are some very rare Rosewood veneers in there still, along with shelves of others :shock:
(forgot that picture of the veneer store =P~ :roll:)

Glad you appreciate the photo's folks. Had a problem with Photobucket (or was it me #-o ) which meant I could not load em before.

Cheers
Andy

The passing of Andrew Varah was indeed very sad. I was amazed to learn that he would put a concealed compartment in some (or all, not sure) of his pieces, containing a jewel. I'm told, but not had confirmed, that clients had one year to find the compartment, after which Andrew would remove and keep the contents. There's an obit in the latest issue of BW.

Cheers

Nick

Back