A Twist in a Frame Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard T

Established Member
Reaction score
A member very kindly sent me some Woodwright's Shop from the '80's and in one episode Roy is cutting dovetails with a frame saw which has a 90 degree twist in the blade. So the front of the blade is vertical but in the middle it is twisted to the horizontal at the back end.
He starts to saw down the cut with the front and then uses the back to go around the corner to cut the waste out.

I've attempted some screen captures:

WoodwrightsShop-0610-1986-ShakerLapDesk_mpeg2video_1__0001.jpg

WoodwrightsShop-0610-1986-ShakerLapDesk_mpeg2video_2__0001.jpg

WoodwrightsShop-0610-1986-ShakerLapDesk_mpeg2video_4__0001.jpg

WoodwrightsShop-0610-1986-ShakerLapDesk_mpeg2video_3__0001.jpg

It seems it shouldn't work but it does. Has anyone tried it and is it really a practical thing to do???

I recall reading that Frank Klausz was famous for his twisted-blade-frame-saw which he used for dovetails. It was around that era, so it is possible that Roy was motivated to emulate his method.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I recall reading that Frank Klausz was famous for his twisted-blade-frame-saw which he used for dovetails. It was around that era, so it is possible that Roy was motivated to emulate his method.
Seems that way. The Porch Archive tells all. The thread goes further into Klausz's technique and so forth, Richard, fwiw. Probably lots more in the archives, if you feel motivated to look for it. I have no personal experience.

Thanks Derek, thanks Alf. Very interestin' that.

I'll have a play at trying it when I get round to making a frame saw but I can't imagine getting sharp corners. I think my chisels are probably safe.

He's a class act is Mr Underhill. I suspect it would need a fair blade length to work well? My Gramercy 12" may be a bit short for such a trick, but I'll give it a go. I suppose if the stock is thin it may be OK.

Richard T":174p9ky0 said:
I'll have a play at trying it when I get round to making a frame saw but I can't imagine getting sharp corners. I think my chisels are probably safe.

Now for sharp corners, thinks... :idea: If the part of the blade used for the horizontal cut were double edged it could be used in both directions! No daft idea :)

xy

Back