A Thank You

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I put out a thread earlier this week titled scratch building. In the thread I mentioned I would most probably finish the project with a veneer.

I would like to bring to your notice that one of the forum members
lyNx, Andy, kindly contacted me and freely offered some of his stock of veneers together with banding.

2005_0827veneer0005r.jpg

I can tell you that the gift arrived the next day and I would like to thank Andy publicly for his generosity and thoughts on this matter.

I should also mention that on three previous occassions this year members of the forum have also kindly and freely posted a pleasant and thoughtful gift.

I think modern times are getting better.

Nice one.

I have to agree, there are some very nice members on this forum.

Take the kindness shown to my son for instance. I will not name, names, just incase the member does not want me too. But last year B&Q were selling the Trend Router Lathes at least 50% discount. The trouble was these were only being sold at a few selected stores, and the nearest of these was 300+ miles away from where my son lives.

To cut a long short this member not only offered to buy one of these for my son, but also sent it to him before he asked for the money.

Some very decent members indeed.

Regards

Woody

I would just like to add to this ongoing generosity.

One forum member has very kindly offered a new blade arbor kit which he no longer has a use for. The kit will allow me to use stacked dado's on my supersaw like the American model. On asking how much he wanted, I was told " if you can make use of it, it's your's for free" and then said he'd post it to me. He know's who he is and i'll leave it up to him to decide if he want's to reveal himself and I just hope that I can in some way return the gesture sometime.

cheers,
jonathan.

DW, not a problem mate. Hope it all turns out well. The figured Anigree looks really nice once polished.

Woody, i've sent you a PM :wink:

LyNx

Not to worry. I don't look for returns, just prefer to help out.

It's how it should be these days, too many people out for a quick buck or two.

LyNx

I might be out of place here, but, as far as generosity goes, I have witnessed more on this forum than anywhere else in my entire life, (except when I was a biker).

I have also received David Charlesworths DVDs on loan from a complete stranger.

You wont find that anywhere else.

Thanks stranger, you know who you are. =D> :eek:ccasion5:

ATB Gary.

Woodythepecker":ygybdlrz said:
But last year B&Q were selling the Trend Router Lathes at least 50% discount. The trouble was these were only being sold at a few selected stores, and the nearest of these was 300+ miles away from where my son lives.
Woody,

I will step to the front, I did indeed send Mike a router lathe, got some odd looks in the post office. :shock: I can't belive it was a year ago. :-k

I hope Mike gets to use his router lathe soon, I am very glad I got it for him as Trend have stopped listing them in the new catalogue.

Well I belive in helping my friends, I am lucky I have quite a lot. :D
shirehorseman":ygybdlrz said:
Treat everyone as YOU wish to be treated.
as you give, so shall you receive.
As Trev says I find most people respond well if if you treat them well.
I am a lapsed biker, great bunch of people. :)
I currently drive a Volvo, but I have driven over 100,000 miles in a couple of 2CV's, the owners of these cars are another good group to know.
And then we get to wood workers what more do I have to say you know the rest of the story. =D>

Hi Dave,

I did not know whether to mention your name or not, so i played safe, with the hope that you would show yourself.

As i am sure you know he really did appreciate your help in getting the lathe, and he would jump at the chance to return the favour.

By the way he did use it a few times before he went to work in the US and made some barley twist spindles for his nan's staircase

The only question i have to ask is "From a bike to a Volvo, how did that happen?" :wink:

Cheers

Woody

Woodythepecker":nbrzzurg said:
The only question i have to ask is "From a bike to a Volvo, how did that happen?" :wink:

Woody, I was going to ask the same thing! That's definitely swapping jerseys and playing for the other team! :D :wink:

Woodythepecker":1t3o18vf said:

Well it is a company car, I do lots of miles, its got 67,000 on the clock at only 21 months old. :roll: Sometimes with company kit or other work colleagues, but also with loads of timber. :D

It will be swapped out by the end of the year, the price of Volvos has gone up so it looks like a Ford C Max next, just need to check on the timber carrying capacity before one gets ordered. :-k

The biker never leaves the brain, I see them coming before most other box drivers and make room for a quick pass, its nice to still get the wave or nod as they go by. \:D/
I do miss the open road on the bike but bringing home 6 + cube of timber the Volvo estate wins hands down. 8)

My eldest son has a CBR600. He got told of by his wife over pulling out into too smaller gaps with her on the pillion. :x I am not sure that explaining he could be doing 60mph in 4 seconds compared to the 35 seconds for her car was the beset way out of the problem. :whistle:

Dave wrote

I do miss the open road on the bike but bringing home 6 + cube of timber in the Volvo estate wins hands down 8)

Of course i agree 110%.

Good luck with the C-Max. SWMBO has one and with rear centre seat gone and the others arranged there is plenty of room to visit your local timber yard. And whats more with the SAT/NAV you can find your way to any other yard that takes your fancy.

Regards

Woody

Woodythepecker":3vtw68jo said:
And whats more with the SAT/NAV you can find your way to any other yard that takes your fancy.

I already have Sat/Nav in the form of an Ipaq running CoPilot. :)
I have been using it for over a year now and would not be with out it, it reduces the stress levels when going to an unfamiliar destination or if you meet road works/accidents on route.
Other forum members will vouch on it getting me to unknown places, (workshops) give me a post code and I will be there. :roll: 8)

Stangely enough I have a C-Max! Since I have the decent (read FAST)bike I get to have the sensible baby carrier. Deffo loads of room with the seats out though! I like it.

SWMBO has a Beetle. Enough room in the boot for a quarter of Jelly Babies! Rubbish!

Some Gobsmacking generosity on this forum. I am forever in Waterhead37's debt for helping me cut up that mdf (showing off his festool =P~ ), Barry Burgess for lending me the Triton videos and Les Chicken for an amazing deal on the Triton workcentre.

Not to mention all of the top notch advice I have recieved.

Waiting for the time when I can give back...

Well I have just returned from a fellow members house after resawing some wood on his bandsaw and jointing on his planer.

And of course you always meet the nicest people at woodyards.........even if the do take your picture

Bean

SatNav is amazing... it even Navigated me through the Norfolk Broads this weekend! :D

SatNav map reading for the illiterate
Its clever mind, but it misses the point in that your total world is the confines of the vehicle, A map introduces the world around you as you plot your route.

I've been around most of the northern hemisphere with maps, never needed a satnav

Bean

Latest posts

Back