A tale of three parts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three down one to go. Following the Homebase theme I am calling this style the Norfolk.

Face%2Bof%2Bthe%2BNorfolk.JPG

Not wanting my planer/thickmesser stand just to be an empty box I toyed with the various schemes to utalise the centre space.

with%2Bshelves.jpg

The intention to store boxes of screws but abandened this idea when I found the space fits my chop saw so only one door needs to open the others can be fixed. Now my router lift is working I may try my han at a bolection mould.

Hi Pete repaired the turnbutton exactly as you reccomended. The coller did split and I had to make another and because of the araldite one of the screws was locked and therefore split, to which I will fill.

Repaired turnbutton back face

Repaired+turn+bolt+back.JPG

Repaired turnbutton front face

Repaired%2Bturn%2Bbolt%2Bface.JPG

The Assembly
Assembly.JPG

Gluing up the top frame

Top%2Bframe%2Bglued%2Bup.JPG

Top frame fixwd

Dust%2Bframe%2Btop.JPG

All assembled

Assembled.JPG

Putting in Mahogany strips

Mahoghany%2Bstrips.JPG

Fitting the planes.

Fitting%2Bin%2Bthe%2Bplane.JPG

Not much going on in the shop today or yesterday due to undercoating the planer/thicknesser base. Had a good brush up and a vac down.
I need to divert back to the stand so I can physically work out any stretch as the planer is moved out of its designated space and to see which knobs and protrusions interfere with this process.

The plan for turning (going to give it to George Osborn)

turningvsd.jpg

The doors with a water based undercoat for dark colours

Doors%2Bundercoated.JPG

The base with a finish coat and undercoat.

Frame%2Bundercoated%2B.JPG

Have not decided if to fix them with hinges or secure them so they dont open?

Have not done much on the planer/thicknesser project due to the Easter Hols but put the plane/thicknesser in its designated spot and fixed a face frame.

Face%2Bframe%2Bto%2Bdryer.JPG

I need to make some more doors but though the router lift works OK require to reduce the dust it makes therefore< I am going to try a small venturi as made for the RAS. I am building the venturi of the top of my head to see how or if it works.

Venturi%2Bfor%2Bthe%2Brouter%2B%25283%2529.JPG

The glue having set the venturi is assembled the face with a hole cut out to take the hose.

Front+face+applied.JPG

Now this is silly

This+is+silly.JPG

The rear view

Hose+fitted.JPG

The front view

front+veiw+hose+fitted.JPG

Does it work? Yes and better than anticipated. The suction was strong enough to hold the height gauge firm to the face of the fence.

Ihe+height+gauge.JPG

The suction also works on the timber being fed through holding that against the fence. Granted its only 2 x 1 and I would not expect this to occur on larger stock but still unexpected.

adzeman":ydbptxwh said:
The suction also works on the timber being fed through holding that against the fence. Granted its only 2 x 1 and I would not expect this to occur on larger stock but still unexpected.

I have a similar set up on my (supposedly temporary) router table; at one point I wanted to rout a small groove across the bottom of some ~25mm wooden discs (to make a housing joint) and I figured it would be safer to use some double-sided tape to stick them to the bottom of a length of wood than try and push them through individually. The first cut I completely failed to think about which direction the air would be sucking from (it would need to be below to remove chips, of course) and turned the vacuum on, and it ripped most of the discs off the tape sideways, in spite of downward pressure on the scrap.

I had trouble dislodging those that remained with the levering aid of an old cheap chisel under the side of them, so it's not like the tape was rubbish!

Hi Adzeman,

Regarding your error in workmanship due to lapse in concentration -

I 'm probably being a bit thick here (and I'm no experienced woodworker, having never made a set of doors) but - where's the error? I can't see it. They look like a nice pair of doors to me. Perhaps someone can explain?

K

Regarding your error in workmanship due to lapse in concentration
The photo makes it look better than it really is but if you enlarge the picture or look carefully at the staff bead you can see some wisps of grain. The original staff bead was larger and when forming I slipped and gouged the face of the bead. To doctor it I had to form a smaller bead over the original and do a bit of hand shaping with a chisel. A lot of hand sanding. I know its there and each time I look at it my eye goes straight to it.

They look like a nice pair of doors to me. Perhaps someone can explain?

I have included an enlargement to demonstrate where I went wrong, my attempts to make a correction and my personal improvement not to do it again and better my skill. This index is called "Projects, workshop tours and past mistakes" I try to mark all my work and for this door I would be lucky to give it a seven. It is 45 years ago since I earnt a living from carpentry now its a hobby. I try to produce work that is acceptable for other people and what I find is if I have not done something for a long time I need to practice. Like dovetails the more I do the better I become so, I oisometimes over produce a project for example as an extreem:- Where a but nailed joint would be OK I would half lap or form a tenon. The enlarged pic shows the raggy edge and a poor joint. Both were improved with sanding and filler but thats not the point. Good work is sharp or crisp in appearance and that is the target. Incidently there was an improvement on the other doors.

raggy+edge.jpg

Not wanting to make the same mistake twice, I rebated and applied the Staff Bead moulding to the stile of the next door to make on the list.

Better+staffbead.JPG

Mike, thanks for your frankness in showing us the warts and all version - I think this is much more useful to anyone wanting to get better at woodwork than some carefully posed pictures suggesting that everything is always perfect!

No, thank you for your comment. To me there are some great craftsmen out there but I think except for a very few skill has to be learnt. Similar to music, another of my hobbies, where the majority of us have to practice and overcome hurdles and move on. My current hurdle is producing the Bolection moulding I drew and included in an earlier post. I know I could alter the pattern but the one I drew is as near as I can get to the traditional shape I remember. I purchased the planes I thought I would require but still had difficulty in producing the required shape. Rather than describe my results so far I think a picture can save a thousand words.

Bolection+wth+GABRIEL.jpg

I didn't have a small enough plane to form the small half round so I asked a guy I know to look for one. I got a call he had found one and went off to have a look. Purchased it straight away on sight as it is a Gabriel (£6.00) so even if It will not do I know someone who would be interested.

DSCN5074.JPG

I will fettle it up and give it a go.

Excellent stuff!

And a good example of relative prices and values - what quality of router cutter could you get for £6? And would it still be useful and usable in 200 years time?!! ;-)

I am enjoying this :D ......a nice read please keep us updated

and thanks for sharing warts and all :wink:

Dave:O)

Latest posts

Back