a stroll through design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a break from woody stuff. The design of things interests me a lot... always has done. From typography to common household objects. But right now - cars.
I honestly don't want to offend anyone, but how do Toyota consistently make cars so ugly? When they occasionally do a good one (a recent MR2 I thought) I have to assume they did that by mistake. I mean it can't be that hard... just look at a nice one in the street outside, and sort of copy it.
Honda get closer but no cigar either. The NSX was an excellent car, but it just looked like a Sumo had sat on it by mistake, before it had set.
Now then, BMW. The previous shape 3 Series was the definitive, then they ruined it. BMW seem now to be working in a design language that I cannot understand. It must be quite easy being Audi these days.
So, on the subject of Audi - I suddenly remembered the other day how truly BRILLIANT the A2 was. One of the best car designs since the 2nd war I think... really. That good. Love the way it draws from 40's Auto-Union - in the shapes, the Auto-Union motif on the front 'grille' and that wonderful curve down the roof-line. An absolute classic:
A2.jpg

The A2 is so good that they don't lose value anymore. Technically probably too good ( I mean too expensive to make) - aluminium body, engine so low it is accessed from underneath (like the Boxster). Anyway I may be on the hunt: diesel, v low miles, full history, not silver or black (love the mid blue or the dark grey). I reckon I would run that for ... it could see me out :shock:

Remember the NSU RO80?? - my first boss had one back in the seventies (I was six then) - that car still looked very good twenty years later. My first boss was tech director of Kef Loudspeakers, Laurie Fincham. A really great man. I digress.

Next - Dornier? German aeroplanes with bad intent. But Citroen have done some odd things. The Deux Chevaux, the DS, the SM, the Traction Avant. So here's an idea, let's take the Traction Avant engine / gearbox, inspire the design with a Dornier... and make a van:
Citroen-Hy-van.jpg

Another stunner - there's a bloke does fine coffees out of one of these down Brick Lane every Sunday - that van is a celebrity and the inside really is a 50's espresso bar.

Anyway, I could go on... but anyone care to propose really great post-war design. Anything at all... like the original Penguin paperbacks with dull orange and plain type. Or a Sinn watch maybe. Anything but it has to be good :lol:

Attachments

• A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 719
  • Citroen-Hy-van.jpg
    Citroen-Hy-van.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 723
Gosh, NSU RO80 thats an obscure one. I used to work at a Ford dealership where a workmate was well known for swapping out knackered Wankel engines for a Ford V4 on the NSU RO80. Needed a special bellhousing adaptor I think.

yep WP - that was a very common swap. The engine was iffy indeed (the seals around the rotary engine I recall, the equivalent of the piston rings like). But what a shape that car was!!

I'd agree with you in your summation regarding Audi motors...most of the entire range at the present time is stunning, particulary the bigger ones. However, I'm scratching me bonce to think of anything design wise that's post-war and that ticks all the boxes. For me, a design has not only got to be stunning today, but it's got to be stunning yesterday and tomorrow...in other words it's got to be a design 'classic' that stands the test of time. I can think of one or two examples (Hans Wenger's chair for example and a rag-top E-type Jag plus some of the early Ferrari's) Will the Audi's be 'stunning' in 25 years though or will they look dated?
Ahh...one other thing, the Trench Coat (though that's not post WW2) but it's as popular now as it has been since WW1 when it was first designed.
Interesting topic to natter about though

Edit: include the 'Spitfire' (just for RogS :lol: ) the 'Mosquito'...that's a personal thing though- Rob

Hi, Chaps

I don't agree about the Audi (I typed Aldi first :shock: ) range, but then I do drive an ALFA.

Pete

Isn't appreciation of design a little like classical music? One's likes/dislikes change as one gets older (unless it's the Spitfire!). I remember lusting after the Lotus Esprit but now think the design too angular. I'd go for a classic 'C' type Jaguar if I had to choose a car.

Digressing slightly, I find that many of the larger 4x4's from the likes of Audi, BMW, Porsche are way, way, way too much 'in yer face' and are bought to compensate for the small-penile dimensions of the owner.

RogerS":1b02o26g said:
Isn't appreciation of design a little like classical music? One's likes/dislikes change as one gets older (unless it's the Spitfire!). I remember lusting after the Lotus Esprit but now think the design too angular. I'd go for a classic 'C' type Jaguar if I had to choose a car.

Digressing slightly, I find that many of the larger 4x4's from the likes of Audi, BMW, Porsche are way, way, way too much 'in yer face' and are bought to compensate for the small-penile dimensions of the owner.
Agreed on all counts Rog, which is why I said that some designs (only some mind) stand the 'test of time' that most folks like...the 'drool' factor if you like. Both the E-type roadster and Spitfire had it when they were first designed and over the intervening years, it's only got greater. Is there anyone who would disagree that the Spitfire was just about the prettiest single seat aircraft ever designed? - Rob

Pelikan Souveran range fountain pens. The basic design of the filler mechanism is pre-war but it has never been bettered and goes on and on. The ultimate fountain pen and a design classic.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":2yno5ugl said:
M-series Leica cameras.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I've been pondering this one for a while Paul :-k

Form or function?
Function or form?
Form and functon?

For sure, the Leica is a pretty penny :shock: and represents probably the best 'funtional' camera around, but it looks no different to any SLR that I could buy at Dixons (as was)...would you recognise a punter with one at a distance? For me, a truly classic design has to embrace form and function...one without t'other don't cut the wotnot :lol: - Rob

If you split that pic in two halves with a piece of paper, or your hand, and cover the right hand half (the front of the car from the front of the wheel arch) it magicaly turns into a Fiesta :?

Yates-American Y-36 Snowflake bandsaw:
13081-A.jpg

Oh, you said postwar. Then Yates-American J-170 lathe:
3871-C.jpg

YA made some butt-ugly machines. But they weren't afraid to try something unusual, and sometimes hit it out of the park.

Kirk

woodpig":39gbjgnk said:
Shame Toyota hasn't made this concept a reality:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/12/to ... truck.html
That is very similar to the Toyota FJ in America.

I'm a big fan of classic muscle cars which stems from my love of drag racing - 70 hemi cuda, 68 firebird, 68 shelby GT500 etc =P~ ..... 1969 Camaro SS with a blown 454 big block..... How long is it til Christmas? :mrgreen:

Though I think the most beautiful are Delahaye WOW.

I know they are all cars but here we go,

Aston Martin Vantage 1980 - 2011
BMW M1 1978 - 1981
Ford GT 40 1964 - 1969
BMW 3.0l csl (batmobile) 1968 - 1975
Ford Capri Mk111 1978 - 1986
BMW 2002 1962 - 1977
Lancia Monte Carlo 1975 - 1982
Ferrari 308 gtb 1975 - 1985
Talbot Martra 1980 - 1983
Ferrari 288 GTO 1984 - 1986
Aston Martin One 77 2009 -
Bentley 7.5 ltr 1926 -1931
Mercedes Gullwing 1955 -1957

Not in any order and just a few that I can think of.

As for aeroplanes

de Havilland Tiger Moth 1931 - 1944
Avro Lancaster 1941 - Not Known
OK THE Spitfire 1938 - 1948

Tanks

MK 1 although went up to MK X 1915 -1919

RogerS":3snpp601 said:
are bought to compensate for the small-penile dimensions of the owner.
OMG you'll have the thought police decending and modding the post for it being a racist (little dicks) remark :lol:
Unfortunately the peeps who used to drive BMWs and Mercs have now moved over to Audi (in my experience...)
Right back to design.
For me (being 55) its the sound of a car or plane that sends me. A Hurricane or Spitfire or Mosquito send a shiver down my spine when they pass and when on the tarmac, just like a Lambo Miura they look so perfectly balanced and simply 'right'. I believe someone once said that good design also looks good.

Latest posts

Back