A solution

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
If all members (that wanted too) became friends at Facebook (and does Facebook have a section for just friends?) it would then become feasible to do without General chat here.

Members could swear at each other and discuss what they like, facebook does not seem to have moderators?

Moderators would then be freed of many onerous decisions.

administrator here might not like it because it would reduce traffic?

So how about an amicable discussion?

I've seen witch hunts and really nasty stuff done to people on other forums in the past for little or no reason. In the whole this forum seems to be quite mature though.

Being that I tend to not have much luck I'd rather keep my identity private.

dw

It may work, though some, (including me) may be a bit wary of fb and others. (although I do use it to a limited extent).

I have met the guy that started ecademy, an online networking site. He explained that all these sites have a long term goal of floating on the ole exchange, (if they haven't already done so). What makes them valuable is the mass of data held on each 'member'. The more they know about you, the more 'marketable-to' you are.

I am not at all paranoid, but I do recognise that although we all think we are free agents with complete choice, the world does filter info and increasingly bombard us with sales info, etc.

As an experiment I amended the minimal info held on my fb profile, (still hidden from public view, mind you). Within a week the adverts being shown had changed to items related to my new 'interests'.

Clever, yes, automatic, certainly, but still an interesting insight into our 'choices' etc.

I hope this hasn't come across as a paranoid rant, as it is not. Just food for thought.

Greg

It does seem that in life, some people are more argumentative than others. Some don't seem to worry too much about offending other people, and a small minority go out of their way to be deliberately offensive, for whatever reason. In life, you just have to deal with it; the beauty of forums such as this is that if you don't want to get embroiled in such 'discussions', you can just ignore them and contribute to the more interesting threads. That said, I do have considerable sympathy for the mods having to try and steer a path fair to all parties through some of it. Compared to some of the political forums, the stuff that goes on here is pretty mild, thankfully. Most people are here for the woodworking knowledge, aren't we?

A solution? To what problem exactly?

I use facebook mostly to promote my shop and answer questions customers have, but to be honest I would not bother otherwise as it drives me up the wall. It is pretty much un moderated and on your own wall you can pretty much say whatever you like without anyone being able to do anything about it other than block you from appearing in their news feed.

But it would not really work, a troll is not looking for somewhere they CAN misbehave, it looking for the exact opposite.

Jacob":1kfuq492 said:

To moderators needing to delete a post.

I have not much knowledge on the workings of FB but is it possible for a group friends to have there own section besides a family section or is it all open?

devonwoody":18yjgpau said:
Jacob":18yjgpau said:

To moderators needing to delete a post.

I have not much knowledge on the workings of FB but is it possible for a group friends to have there own section besides a family section or is it all open?
Yes you can have closed sections.
You can do that on here if the mods will let you e.g. they'll have their own mod forum I expect. Or you can PM one another.
It'd allow those who want to to have a good rant, but I'd expect there'd still be posts to delete from the open forum - just a fact of life I'm afraid.

Just been reading through 4 or 5 pages of discussion about Hamsa on a Mercedes Benz forum.

I think some comments were deleted by mods at one point but it's still up and running and diverse opinions are being expressed with no sign of it being locked.

Don't really see why woodworkers shouldn't be allowed to do the same thing!

I notice that the General Chat section now has 3 locked topics on the first page.

Evidence of some over zealous moderation perhaps??

I suppose we could have an unmoderated free-for-all section where you could only post if the mods had your real id on file for the lawyers.

On the other hand we could just take a deep breath and behave like the intelligent adults we wish to emulate.

Peter T":2k6l18t4 said:
Just been reading through 4 or 5 pages of discussion about Hamsa on a Mercedes Benz forum.

I think some comments were deleted by mods at one point but it's still up and running and diverse opinions are being expressed with no sign of it being locked.

Don't really see why woodworkers shouldn't be allowed to do the same thing!

Don't think you have to be a Mercedes Benz owner to participate on a MB forum, do you?

So Jacob, enlighten us how to have an enclosed section on Facebook and if more than one closed section can be held by an individual.

If you joined my circle of friends and my young ones let fly us lot would die of apoplexy.

devonwoody":2jh93cgy said:
So Jacob, enlighten us how to have an enclosed section on Facebook and if more than one closed section can be held by an individual. .....
You'll have to enlighten yourself on that one. All I know is that you can restrict access and even have a completely closed facebook to members only, if you want to.

there are several options, probably the best would be a facebook group..

These can be set to:

Open - everyone can see posts and post when they join
Closed - The group home page can be seen, and the group is listed in the group index/ can be searched for, but you cannot see any posts until you join
Secret - the group is not indexed, cannot be found with search, only invited people can join, see or post in it.

More or less a facebook equivalent to a basic forum, the group owner and appointed admins can delete posts, add members, remove members, ban people etc

stevebuk":n5hz228d said:
Its very simple DW, just invite the people you want to be able to see it, then nobody else can..simples

So I went to your facebook collection (very nice by the way =D> ) but could not post a comment at the page.

Back