A solution

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason I posted the thread is that some members get upset that their post was deleted and some even dissapear, they might feel that their view is not allowed. They could then post their view at facebook and get their post notified at members email facebook incoming. Those that want to can still participate as they please.

I have had some posts deleted but never get vexed enough to argue.

But some skilled woodworkers have been lost to the forum with qualified experience.

Noel":24pbexqb said:
Peter T":24pbexqb said:
Just been reading through 4 or 5 pages of discussion about Hamsa on a Mercedes Benz forum.

I think some comments were deleted by mods at one point but it's still up and running and diverse opinions are being expressed with no sign of it being locked.

Don't really see why woodworkers shouldn't be allowed to do the same thing!

Don't think you have to be a Mercedes Benz owner to participate on a MB forum, do you?

You don't, but all the contributors, including myself, seem to be.

Peter T":18dmiu1p said:

But do they in the main spend 52.69% of their time in General Chat (Off-Topic) rather than contributing to helping members with their requests for help, discussing the various aspects of other members projects as a means of gaining knowledge or putting up show and tell projects as an example for others to follow.

If so then the moderators must be spending a disproportionate amount of their time monitoring current news media subjects etc. rather than tidying up genuine forum raison d'etre subjects.

Peter T":3ez8pkpd said:
Noel":3ez8pkpd said:
Peter T":3ez8pkpd said:
Just been reading through 4 or 5 pages of discussion about Hamsa on a Mercedes Benz forum.

I think some comments were deleted by mods at one point but it's still up and running and diverse opinions are being expressed with no sign of it being locked.

Don't really see why woodworkers shouldn't be allowed to do the same thing!

Don't think you have to be a Mercedes Benz owner to participate on a MB forum, do you?

Well, there you go.......:)
I wasn't being serious. It was a hint...:)

CHJ":3e3kfaim said:
Peter T":3e3kfaim said:

But do they in the main spend 52.69% of their time in General Chat (Off-Topic) rather than contributing to helping members with their requests for help, discussing the various aspects of other members projects as a means of gaining knowledge or putting up show and tell projects as an example for others to follow.

If so then the moderators must be spending a disproportionate amount of their time monitoring current news media subjects etc. rather than tidying up genuine forum raison d'etre subjects.

Since I am but a lowly DIY/hobby woodworker it's difficult to contribute a lot to the various woodworking sections since there are so many members with far more experience and skill than I have.

In future I'll limit my activities to admiring their creations.

Peter T":w4gtwmh6 said:
Since I am but a lowly DIY/hobby woodworker it's difficult to contribute a lot to the various woodworking sections since there are so many members with far more experience and skill than I have.

In future I'll limit my activities to admiring their creations.

But that's the whole point of getting involved, to learn the differences, ask the questions and try the various methods yourself, looking is all well and good but doing is what hones the skills.

This site was built to help people of any age to learn the basics of woodworking. Over the past 10 years it has grown into one of the UK’s biggest woodworking websites. There’s loads to offer including step by step projects & guides, tool reviews, links to other woodworking related sites and a forum with a great & active community – is the best place to ask for help and chat to other woodworkers from all over the world…

There are many skilled woodworkers participating, some running their own successful businesses, but everybody has to start somewhere and develop their own skills and most longer term or more proficient members are only to willing to pass on advice or guidance if they see someone asking for help and trying to improve.

I do feel somewhat inadequate when I look at the creations many people here make!

I wonder if a beginners/ novice section would maybe be appropriate where those of us who are just getting started can post the stupid questions without feeling so, well noob, and responses can be dumbed down a bit for those of us who find much of it like a new language to learn.

One previous forum I used had a 'gutter' forum where the content allowed was much less moderated if at all. This forum was by application only, if you didnt want to see the offensive stuff then you didnt sign up for it, simple.

Ref what Louise said about a noob section, if the trolling can be kept to a minimum then this would be a worthwhile area and posably a draw to get more people signing up and posting (again from experience from another forum) - posting my own tat up against what sometimes seems like masterpieces is pretty off putting and asking questions like what is a haunched tenon? and wanting a simple human explanation instead of somebody saying 'just google it', would be good to have a place for it.

No skills":3vehcx3m said:
asking questions like what is a haunched tenon? and wanting a simple human explanation instead of somebody saying 'just google it'

I've not personally noticed that kind of problem on this forum in the first place, though.

That said, a colleague of mine has been doing more woodwork than I've found time for lately, as he's been building himself a new kitchen (and doing a very nice job of it, from the photos I've seen). He's asked me a few questions and I'd suggested he should try asking on woodworking forums, but he's convinced that they're all full of gruff professionals and experts who'd be all dismissive and rude toward his efforts. Anything that can counter that kind of impression is probably a good step to take, regardless of how true it is!

Its certainly not the rule by any means and I dont think its happened to me (an to be fair I CGAF) but I have seen it here and it wouldnt wash in a 'beginners' area.

There have been plenty of examples where beginners have asked beginners' questions and got detailed helpful advice on the general woodworking board. Let's keep it that way, not shunt them off into a corner.
I don't think people leaving en masse and trying to find each other on Facebook would help either.

Its not to do with putting people in a corner, people should post where they want assuming its relevent to the area. Having a noob area with helpful, experienced folks posting replys/helping is a good way to get beginners into both the hobby and forum.

As for facebook, dont get me started on ******* facebook.

I was thinking more from a newbie perspective, it is kinda intimidating to post the silly questions or pictures of your efforts when you see the fantastic works of art created by some (lots of) people here.

Not because there is any attitude, simply because you feel so inferior, I thought maybe a dedicated noob section would make it a bit easier to break the ice so to speak.

I find that one of this forums greatest assets is its tolerance ney, embrace of the keen (yet so far) clueless such as myself.

One of its 'down sides', as a consequence, is the arguments generated by conflicting advice given by fantastically knowledgeable people who come from different schools of adeptness. And there are many. Though from this we all learn a lot more and have each skill, solution, knack, examined in microscopic detail. No book will contain anything like the insight found here; a book will describe one way - the author's; and many such book has been praised and shredded alike here.

If newbies were not welcome to dive straight in among the big boys, we would not have this vast wrangling of the facts of woodwork life and the best source of 'how to' anywhere. Though, as such, it's bound to appear daunting but that's the way it is and, as far as I can see, the only way it works.

I think that the vast majority of us do not have a GIS (Google It Stupid) attitude to even the most basic questions asked and are more than willing to impart knowledge if we have it or even if we don't, add other questions.
Any how, it doesn't always work. I wanted to know how the thickness of bronze sheet measured in SWG related to actually how thick it was in terms of inches; I Googled it (stupid) and Google came up with nothing but Star Wars Gears of War Bronze ... or some such;- pages of it. #-o

Richard T":300kq1sz said:
Any how, it doesn't always work. I wanted to know how the thickness of bronze sheet measured in SWG related to actually how thick it was in terms of inches; I Googled it (stupid) and Google came up with nothing but Star Wars Gears of War Bronze ... or some such;- pages of it. #-o
I just googled "swg in inches" and got this http://www.clag.org.uk/swg.html

Totally agree Richard, if there was a section for beginners it would probably be overlooked by a lot of more experienced people

I consider this to be a brilliant forum. If it wasn't I would have got fed up of it by now.... But there are minor issues created by the diversity of members. For instance.... Just mention the word 'sharpening' and everyone gets upset. Oh no not again. It is even used as a joke threat sometimes :)
Now I really do not care. It doesn't upset me in the least, but actually, as a newbie, I would quite like to see some threads on sharpening. Does that make me :cry: or :twisted: ???

Grahamshed":10f78sm6 said:
I consider this to be a brilliant forum. If it wasn't I would have got fed up of it by now.... But there are minor issues created by the diversity of members. For instance.... Just mention the word 'sharpening' and everyone gets upset. Oh no not again. It is even used as a joke threat sometimes :)
Now I really do not care. It doesn't upset me in the least, but actually, as a newbie, I would quite like to see some threads on sharpening. Does that make me :cry: or :twisted: ???
Don't worry about it! Ask away, don't let them put you off.
Sharpening is absolutely central to human existence. Without sharpening we would just be another little ape in the jungle. It's what gave us dominion over the whole planet - with just sticks, stones and (later on) metal, we can do better than teeth, tusks and claws.
It's central to woodwork and it is inevitable that it will be discussed endlessly.

Back