A snake on my door handle!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t8hants

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just been called home from work by my near hysterical wife and daughter, who came home to discover a 18" long baby corn-snake wrapped around the front door handle. Although it is very pretty looking they are not impressed, as they both hate snakes with a passion. Luckily they didn't kill it outright (hammer)

G

What a nice find! Where do you think it came from though, as Corns are not native to the UK so obviously don't turn up that often in the wild, an escapee maybe or deliberately dumped?

What will you do with it?

One snake , that's all! Some mornings I have to prod a couple of snakes away from the door when going out so they don't come in. In my squirmy corner of Canuckia a nesting ball of several hundred is usual during the mating season. And my front yard is mating central. This is not complaining either, as the garter snake is a handsome and harmless help around our home. We live in very rural Ontario , grain ,corn and other mouse and rat food by the acre. I personally have not a mouse noticed since moving in. Mind you , the dog has developed a nervous looking gait while walking his turf.

Corns are excellent climbers, they can wedge themselves in a gap and work their way up. I have two and both have managed to escape by opening the sliding glass doors of their vivariums when I forgot to lock them, they press their bodies against the glass and push it sideways, clever animals.

lanemaux":132pxj2k said:
One snake , that's all! Some mornings I have to prod a couple of snakes away from the door when going out so they don't come in. In my squirmy corner of Canuckia a nesting ball of several hundred is usual during the mating season. And my front yard is mating central. This is not complaining either, as the garter snake is a handsome and harmless help around our home. We live in very rural Ontario , grain ,corn and other mouse and rat food by the acre. I personally have not a mouse noticed since moving in. Mind you , the dog has developed a nervous looking gait while walking his turf.

Well snakes are nothing more than legless lizards. (And I don't mean lounge-lizards!)

Every house in Malta G.C. used to have it's own gecko. (Maybe they still do?) Very good for keeping down the 'mozzies' and cockroaches. (And I mean 'roaches; some almost as big as the geckos!)
Happy Days in our little first floor apartment in G'zira!

:D

The snake apparently escaped from next door about two weeks ago. I assume it must have made its way into the cavity, and then climbed up to the small hole in the pointing that is level with the door knob. The handle which is a large brass one had been in the sun all morning so must have been nice and warm, which is why I suspect it was wrapped around it.

Now Val is a country girl and is well able to identify adders and grass-snakes, and our garden is full of slow worms, although she still hates them all. However to discover a clearly non indigenous snake, species unknown, venomicity unknown, which moves into an apparent striking position as her hand approached the knob proved just too much of a surprise for rational thought. Actually I suspect I would have been none too delighted either, but I would have killed it on the spot.

G

Well, of course unidentified snakes are a matter for care. I don't know about killing, but I would certainly be tempted to use my 'helping-hand' picker-upper, and a sack!

But I find snakes fascinating, and in places we even have them in Brummagem!
Some of them even walk the streets, selling...
Well lets say substances! :twisted:

Latest posts

Back