A smashing weekend, but I need a new vice!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weekend_woodworker

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a quick job of adjusting the brakes on my tandem turn into a long job when I discovered one of the spokes was broken. The difficult bit was getting the rear block off the wheel. I thought that putting the splined nut in a vice and turning the wheel would work, but this is what happened.

Eventually I managed to sort the bike, but now I need a new vice. This one was nothing special as it came with a pillar drill from Aldi! Can anyone recommend a better quality one at a sensible price?

Many thanks,

Mark

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    666.3 KB · Views: 284
There was probably nothing wrong with the original vice, it was not intended to be used the way you did. It was designed for holding things on the pillar drill.
Best way to remove the freewheel is with the correct size spanner on the removal tool or hold the removal tool in an engineers vice
If you want an engineers vice, you cant go wrong with Record. A replacement pillar drill vice look at Axminster

Thanks Hornbeam, I fear you are right. Unfortunately I don’t have an engineers vice, so used the best vice I had. I had been look at Axminster. It would be good to have an engineers vice as well, but I don’t have space.

Thanks

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weekend_woodworker":1fvvs8sn said:
Thanks Hornbeam, I fear you are right. Unfortunately I don’t have an engineers vice, so used the best vice I had. I had been look at Axminster. It would be good to have an engineers vice as well, but I don’t have space.
You could do what I do, bolt a 3" or 4" engineers vice to a short piece of 6x2 then clamp it to bench top when you need it (about once a month in my case)

I have one on a small bit of kitchen worktop that has a bit of wood screwed on below and that gets clamped in my bench vice. Gives my bench some protection from oil and swarf.
Regards
John

For many years I was an on the road engineer. I had a 4" record engineers vice bolted to an 18" square of 18 mm ply. It went in the back of the astravan and was bought out and clamped down when I needed it. It travelled 3/4 million miles with me.
Theres is always space for something you need.

What everyone else said! The drill press vice would have been alloy and intended just for lightweight holding.

I have a decent engineers vice bolted to a bench but also another on a bit of 4x2 and it's surprising how often they're used, Was using the latter way down at the bottom of the garden just a few days ago fixed in a workmate so I could mend the little trailer wheel.

Look on Facebook market place and Gumtree as they come up for sale regularly for £5 to £20.

I bought a Samsonia J7 steel vice for £20 off Gumtree about eighteen months ago :D . Just needed stripping and cleaning. The jaws were like new as the previous owner had turned them around to use them like soft jaws. These vices will take quite a bit of abuse, unlike cast vices. Unfortunately used vices sell for silly money on ebay, and some of them are pretty rough.

Nigel.

On a separate but related note... I have actually used a sash cramp as a long adjustable spanner to loosen blocks. Albeit the old type.

Many thanks for all the advice. The idea of using a sash clamp as long leaver on a nut is not one I had thought of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back