A Small Diversion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
As any one who has read some of my posts knows I have a digital camera :D and after seeing Adams pictures and Alfs comments I though what the heck they have asked for it (my picture). :shock:
Well I had a tripod for a laser level but not for the camera.
Dscn2409s.jpg

All it needed was a little wood!
Dscn2412s.jpg

So now for a small test project. I have subscribed to Woodsmith and as a bonus they sent me The Ultimate Jigs & Fixtures Handbook, lots of quite good ideas. So heres me making one.
Dscn2385s.jpg

Well I cheated I've made one and now going to make three more :D
I don't have a band saw, but a cheap Ferm scroll saw. I have worked it quite hard, it copes well with 3/4" iroko but will only just cut 1 1/2" red wood.
Dscn2387s.jpg

I then used my mortiser to cut a slot.
Dscn2388s.jpg

Then to the drill press with a drum sander, note the dust extraction below the table.
Dscn2393s.jpg

Change the drum and false table for the small curve.
Dscn2394s.jpg

And here they are with a couple of coats of oil on them.
Dscn2424s.jpg

Well if anyone has survived that, yes they really are safety glasses :wink:
Any side effects from viewing this post should be treated with dried frog pills :oops:

Dave,

Great action shots, handsome woodworker, excellent/useful project - what more could we ask for?

Well, I guess you could have used a Louis Vuitton bag rather than the Tesco vesion! What is in it anyway?

(Actuall I have to admit I keep a few rags in a Sainsubury's bag similarly attached to the wall somewhere in the depths of my workshop)

Photos look good - and a good project too. I think I could do with a few of those hold-downs as well!

Adam

By jove! He's got the beard. He's got the safety glasses. Wrong sort of apron, but it's close enough. Right, a quick whip round and we'll get you the checked shirt too. :lol:

Nice pics and project, Dave, and the most impressive array of tobacco tins I've seen in a workshop in a long time - I had feared that branch of workshop storage had died out.

Cheers, Alf

P.S. I don't remember asking for this. Did I? Must engage brain before typing in future... (just kidding, Dave :wink: )

dried frog pills

Ahaaaa!! Bu**rit! Millenium, hand and shrimp!!

I'm sure I spot the influences of a certain Mr. T.Pratchett thereabouts, if I am not mistaken. :D If so, Hooray! I've found another!

If not these words will mean nothing to you, and you will think I am losing my mind. :p :shock:

Gary

EDIT: Sorry, got carried away there and forgot to mention - nice work on the hold-downs! May I 'borrow' that idea? I Think I could make them from your photo-tutorial. Who needs plans when Dave has his camera?? :D :wink:

Foul Ole Gary H":ye92p88r said:
Ahaaaa!! Bu**rit! Millenium, hand and shrimp!!

I'm sure I spot the influences of a certain Mr. T.Pratchett thereabouts, if I am not mistaken. :D If so, Hooray! I've found another!
Ye gods, it's another one. :roll: What is it with woodworkers and turtle-related literature? Next stop a Discworld book of woodwork: "101 uses for sapient pearwood", "How to turn the knob on the end of a wizard's staff", "Vampires being a pain in the neck? We get right to the heart of making your own stake" etc etc. It'd be a winner I reckon, at least if this group is anything to go by...

He then worriedly":ye92p88r said:
If not these words will mean nothing to you, and you will think I am losing my mind. :p :shock:
With the ways things are round here usually, how will we notice? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Ye gods, it's another one. What is it with woodworkers and turtle-related literature? Next stop a Discworld book of woodwork: "101 uses for sapient pearwood", "How to turn the knob on the end of a wizard's staff", "Vampires being a pain in the neck? We get right to the heart of making your own stake" etc etc. It'd be a winner I reckon, at least if this group is anything to go by...

Hmm.. I'm seeing a new Guild forming here..

Carpenters Guild
METIRI BIS, CIDI ALIQUANDO - Measure twice, cut once

Any thoughts..

Gary

Well Gary is quite right, but not just another one :shock: don't look now there are lots around here 8)

Alf":nphhfawc said:
Next stop a Discworld book of woodwork: "101 uses for sapient pearwood", "How to turn the knob on the end of a wizard's staff", "Vampires being a pain in the neck? We get right to the heart of making your own stake" etc etc.

And I think Alf is on to a winner, is that a Dibbler enterprises publication? Would they be taking advanced orders? I'll have two, alway useful as crimbo presses :lol: Could I have them signed by our most 'profishent' poster, pretty please? Congratulations on the 1000 Alf 8)

waterhead37":191na6yd said:
Great action shots, handsome woodworker, excellent/useful project - what more could we ask for?
Well I supose an address you could send money to, like Alf I do have a tool habit :oops:

waterhead37":191na6yd said:
Well, I guess you could have used a Louis Vuitton bag rather than the Tesco vesion! What is in it anyway?
Well I must admit to not knowing who or where Louis Vuitton is, I do have a paper bag from Highland Hardware (somewhere) would that do?
The the bag is a bag of bags, used for emptying the wood burner into (when its cold).

Bean,

Sounds a bit boring saying just food :? there is a box of tripe for Samwise thats a little better :shock:

DaveL
No exotic alloys then !
But it is reassuring to know that my workshop is not the only one to look like that :wink:

Where did you get the plans for your hold downs they look very good

Bean

Bean":3s6nxeha said:
Where did you get the plans for your hold downs they look very good
They came from The Ultimate Jigs & Fixtures Handbook, a freebee when I subscribed to Woodsmith. :D Lots of quite useful bit and pieces in there, not all for the dreaded stacked dado, but not a crown guard in sight :shock:

Latest posts

Back