A silver lining? Duck Off Episode 7

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not at all. Absolute pleasure to read. Great joy to be had in verbosity done right... :wink: the whole point of writing stuff down really.

I would grab some popcorn as this has hooked my interest with ease. But I fear, at this time of morning, I may well run out before you awake and post any more. I shall save it for breakfast instead.

AJB Temple":138no7xa said:
Progress is being made. It is such a pain posting photos to this site it really curtails my enthusiasm! First resize and rename. Then click on upload attachment. Then choose. Then script it. Then position cursor and select add inline. Jeepers: most modern web forums have drag and drop. Some have auto resizing!

If you host your photos on Imgur, they auto-resize as you upload them (which can be done a folder at a time if you want, rather than by individual photo). You then just copy the URL and paste it into your post. No resizing, no re-naming, no clicking on "upload attachment".

I will have to look into that Mike, as the photo handling is what stops me posting more.

I might have a day off from the workshop today as I need to reposition a stone pagoda. Hence cement mixer needs to come out.

AJB Temple":g0drsju4 said:
As I also post on the tools I use.....this is a brilliant little plane. I use it constantly to help me clean off chunky tenons and chamfer the deep corners. Most of the time my tenons are shouldered (this hides my mortice mistakes :oops: ) which are almost inevitable in large chunks of oak unless you are willing to take all day to cut them, and I usually chamfer off the deep corners. Most of the mortices are 50mm deep and approx 100mm tall by 95mm wide.

This is a very cheap "Luban" plane. I think I paid about £40 for it a coupe of years ago on line. There is a Lie Nielson version for about £200 but it is no better. Nice thick iron and the edge lasts for ages. This is on my bench constantly and is a great clean up tool. Highly recommended.

I love this plane so much. Use it for everything. Do you find that the depth adjustment wheel comes annoyingly loose all the time and rattles around though?

Nope. On mine it stays tight. I used to have that problem at first and I found that the blade was not seated dead flat as there was a little imperfection in the casting or machining, so it needed a little rub on the bed with a fine file.

Click on the image you want in your Imgur album, and a pop-up box should appear (on a PC or laptop, at least). The second-from-bottom line in that box (BBCode) is the one you want, just click on "copy".

Thanks Mike. I am not seeing that. I am using a Mac Pro laptop, running latest software and Safari as browser. When I click on my Imgur test picture, I get just one option of a code to copy and paste (which was the one I used above).

I have read the sticky about posting images, but I cannot see a way of making the image rather than the link appear. I will have to fiddle with it later. The upload attachment drop down does not appear to have functionality that allows me to select third party code.

ZcOWYhx

OK. Solved it. Sorry chaps!

OK, that bit of oak is a tenon in a hidden area of the island frame. On exposed ones I cut the haunch (is that the right word?) all the way round, so that the piece with the tenon in it completely hides the mortice hole.

Obviously I try to cut everything accurately, but the mortise holes are quite deep. I usually chamfer off the edges of the tenons using my little Luban apron plane, as this helps when fitting.

The aim is to have a tight fit - I use a leather faced hammer to get the parts together when glue has been applied. I never do a full depth fit prior to gluing as sometimes it can be very hard to get the joint apart again without a lot of violence.

Obviously I could cut the mortice hole such that the whole piece of wood just slides in - far less work, and I may well do that if I am framing and putting say a 4~" square piece into an 8" post. However, the big drawback of that method is you need to have absolutely everything dead square.

Bear in mind I am prepping all wood from raw. The pieces are large and I can't easily get them to my planer / thicknesses. Hence they are planed to size on the temporary bench. Occasionally things are not dead square and that does not matter too much as long as the tenon is dead square and marked off a reference face.

Back