A second fix for snipe on P/T

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

I found another potential area for snipe on my EB clone (SIP) P/T whilst checking all was well with my new infeed and outfeed tables

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4698&highlight=

The brass locking nuts on the up/down screw threads for the thicknesser base plate (one in each corner) had worked loose too :roll:

What this does is allows the thicknesser base plate to move around whilst the wood is passing through - a lot of movement on mine when I found it :roll: There are small grub screws in the brass nuts that are used to lock against the thread in a sort of anti-backlash arrangement. I wound these open as far as possible to eliminate any movement in the base plate against the threaded guide and used super glue to stop them loosening again.

Owners of these P/Ts should check these nuts as I think the base plate moving around will cause problems with the finish on the wood ALTHOUGH I have not yet seen any snipe since fitting the infeed and outfeed tables [-o<

73 views and not a comment <sniff> :lol:

Was this actually useful to anyone?

I'll have a look at mine when I have a mo Tony :D

Alf":2rcuvo9b said:
Well did you really want the comment "You sad, sad man"...? Really? :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Alf, abuse is better than nothing :-s

Tony, when you say that you haven't seen any snipe, does that mean that there literally isn't any variation in the thickness at all, or that the variation is below the level that is easily noticed?

The reason I ask is that most of the discussions I have read on the widespread problem of snipe on thicknessing devices such as P/T's and drum sanders, conclude that snipe can only be reduced, not eliminated

John

Hi John

I am not really talking about the surface finish along the board here, which is what I think you thought I was talking about. Of course there are still planer marks on the board.

My recent posts regarding snipe are directed at the scollop one sees at the end of a board after passing it through the thicknesser.

I have now completely eliminated this scollop, not improved the overall surface finish which is not as good as I get from my Delta or a hand plane

johnelliott":e5zwy2he said:
... the widespread problem of snipe on thicknessing devices such as P/T's and drum sanders, conclude that snipe can only be reduced, not eliminated
Don't know about drum-sanding, but snipe on a thicknesser need not be present at all, with careful setup and appropriate infeed/outfeed support - as Tony has shown.
I never got snipe when I had the Scheppach HMS P/T. I always get it with my DW733 :(

Tony I think you will become known as the P/T man. :D

I have no screw loose (I hope)

BUT

Sweeping up the P/T shavings off the floor yesterday (My extraction sytem had blocked) I have found a 10mmx 6mm black grub screw with the allen key crew head laying in the shavings :twisted:

It has not come from the blade holder block ( I still have the 6 screws in place)

Looked through the spare parts list in the SIP manual I cannot trace any reference to this screw.

Anyone got any thoughts please. ( I'm pretty certain its the P/T)

DW

Sounds like that size would secure a handle or knob - check the planer adjuster handle and thicknesser raising handles

Back