A Salutary Lesson

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I was just about to leave for Stoneleigh and the LOML said to me, "remember that the one with the most tools when they die, is still dead". :shock:

I'd better increase my tool purchases immediately so that I can get the most use out of them. :lol:

Cheers
Neil

:lol: :lol:

At least you could make a nice coffin with lots of tools :!:

I wanted to go to Stonleigh today, to see if I could get a good deal on a Woodrat. Parents in-law are coming over to visit, though! :|

Cheers

Howard

Perhaps I missed them whilst carrying all the turning blanks, but there didn't seem to be all that many offers on at the show.
I was hoping that Trend would be doing a not to miss offer on the Airshield, but this didn't prove to be the case.
Never mind, "the managing director" did get me my Chrissy present.

Hi Jack

JackL":37sugi24 said:
I was hoping that Trend would be doing a not to miss offer on the Airshield, but this didn't prove to be the case.

The cheapest I saw it was at 140 with the extra battery.

It's expensive, but cheaper than the alternative.

Cheers
Neil

JackL":20245uk4 said:
Never mind, "the managing director" did get me my Chrissy present.

Me too :) . Actually, I got two presents, but that's because my birthday falls shortly after Christmas. One of them is, I suspect, quite a significant addition to the workshop.

We had a great time at Stoneleigh even if it wasn't quite so big or well attended as it was a few years ago. It was great to catch up with Frank, Neil, Dennis, Terry, Trevor, Chas (and Di) - I hope I haven't missed anyone.

For me, the great surprise and the biggest bargain was...

Wait for it...

the SIP scrollsaw :shock: !

SIP have revamped this little beastie and changed the blade locking mechanism. It's now much easier to change blades and there was very little vibration apparent during the demonstration. A variable speed 16" scrollsaw for £150 wouldn't be unreasonable, but this was only £50! These saws were shifting like hot cakes, and no wonder. It'll be great to hear from someone who acquired one to see how they actually perform in the workshop. At face value there doesn't seem to be a beginners'/intermediates' saw on the market to compare with this one.

By contrast, the Hegner stand was a huge disappointment. Only one saw was on display (it wasn't operational) and they had no accessories available. Apparently, their stock hadn't been delivered until the morning of the show :roll: . In all fairness, when I tried to buy some blade clamps I was given details how to order them free of delivery charges, but it simply wasn't what I'd expected from a company like Hegner. No wonder most people were buying SIPs instead.

Gill

Hi Gill :)
what? 50 quid ,and you didn't bring one home with you? :eek: :eek:

i'm disappointed with you! :lol: :lol:

didn't get there until later , but i didn't buy one either :roll:
i did spend some time with Ian wilkie, that was interesting!
hope you all had a good time , and didn't shock your bank manager
too much :wink:
al the best ------- -Frank-----

Hi Frank,

Yep - 50 quid cash! :) - with a 2-year guarantee.

I went to the show hoping to see the Hegner scrollsaws - particularly the No.2 variable speed (sells for about £500) - but I thought their stand was pretty pathetic, with only the one, non-operational saw, in sight. (And no lathes, one of their specialities - on the third day of an 'International woodturning' show. :shock: )

On to the SIP stand and watched for a while their 16" variable speed (700-1400 SPM) being demonstrated. No discernable vibration evident. I asked all the important questions, learnt from Gill, and asked to see a blade change - done with such speed and efficiency I nearly missed it, so asked him to show me again slowly. Decided that it looked a reasonable bit of kit, so just had to part with my 50 quid. Time will tell ...... but I may just have saved myself 450. It seems too good to be true but, hopefully, will be okay for me as a complete novice.

Cheers,

Trev.

Hi Frank

Believe me, I was sorely tempted. However, as His Lordship points out, I've already got 4 scrollsaws and one of those is still waiting to be set up properly.

It was quite comical. I saw the SIP being tested and knowing that Trev was in the market I hurried to track him down and tell him that I'd revised my opinion of the machine. In the meantime, Trev had already bought one and, thinking I disliked it, was worrying about how to break the bad news to me :lol:!

Sorry to have missed you at the show :( .

Gill

I have a 2003 SIP woodworking catalogue, it has a 16" variable speed for £60, which has a "quick blade changing", the SIP Item number is 01357. I wonder is this the same one that was at the show? It's not on their website.

I got a SIP scroll saw.

A small amount of vibration but certainly not as bad as some more expensive saws that I've had.

Hegner lost a scroll saw buyer because there was no demo available.

I've just cut the "managing director" a key for her bike lock with the SIP - using a metal cutting blade, of course.

Great results and the key fitted the lock at the first try. I reckon that with the addition of good quality blades, I've got a good deal and it makes you wonder how Hegner can justify the prices that they charge.

Have we hit the "designer label" syndrome in scroll saws here?

JackL":1mafw18t said:

I'm pleased it works well :) . Anything that can put pressure on prices has to be good.

My only reservation is that Hegners have been around for many years and are made from sturdy material. I've had one of my Hegners for 15 years and it's still going strong. The SIP doesn't seem to be manufactured from similarly durable material, which will go a long way towards explaining the price difference. Still, at a tenth of the cost, it doesn't matter too much if the SIP has to be replaced after a year or so.

"Designer labels" in scroll saws? I certainly hope so! That would mean scrolling was being seen as increasingly desirable, possibly even fashionable :) .

Gill

I have not attended a woodworking show for at least 3 years but my experience of Hegner's stands at these shows is as described above. They seem to make very little effort. I guess this means that the product sells itself, a bit like Morgan cars perhaps, but I cannot help wondering how they will keep up in this increasingly commercial, marketing driven, price is king world.

Andy

Gill":2ehp9jiw said:
JackL":2ehp9jiw said:

"Designer labels" in scroll saws? I certainly hope so! That would mean scrolling was being seen as increasingly desirable, possibly even fashionable :) .

Gill

It's making a comeback Gill thanks to people like yourself.

I don't know if these will cut mild steel because I've never tried it myself, but Hegner sells blades capable of cutting "hard and soft" metal up to 3/8" thick. Although it's likely that they will be able to cut mild steel, I think I'd email the company first to make sure.

Gill

As Gill says, Hegner or Axminster sell metal cutting blades. I've cut 2mm mild steel with these.
Method is, as slow a speed as your saw will do. I use a cutting oil, spraying it on the surface of the metal being cut.
See my earlier message; I've cut keys using this method and though it was a slow old job, it was very successful.

Back