A Sad Story

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
This post appeared on a 'Murrican scroll saw thread. I'm sure most of us will have experienced something similar and my heart went out to the writer. Incidentally, the America's Pride Clock looks like this when it's assembled:

77589974.jpg

Some of you may remember this, but the first clock I cut out was the American Pride. I had it setting on my work bench ready to put together. I was to go on a camping/fishing trip with my nieghbor and his family (I have the boat). When we go camping I take the scrap barrel fronm the shop to use for kindling and firewood. When the camper was nearly loaded I sent the airhead daughter (17 year old know it all). When she picked up the barrel she decided there was not enough "scraps" in it so she grab this pile off the worktable ("It looked just like what was in the barrel") and I didn't check it. So off we go. Get to the lake, quickly set up camp and headed out to catch the big ones. We got back about two hours later and she and her mother had already started a fire and I could see the Clock I had spent so much time on burning brightly. They have not had to much to say to me since then. Don't know why??? The daughter even hides when she sees me. And I just haven't felt like starting another.

Gill

Ooh, nasty way for a project to end up :( I quite like the finished clock though, where did you get the picture from Gill? A google search for American Pride Clock didnt show anything obvious, just lots of American flags!

Not quite as bad but I did have my son in the workshop the other day, almost 2 years old and interested to see what Daddy was doing. I was restoring an old oak hall stand at the time and turned round to find him holding a chisel trying to help with the finish of the piece :shock: Fortunately the tip was covered but I now know he can reach and open the drawer I keep my chisels in! Time for a revamp of my storage I think :wink:

Steve

I'm pleased you asked, Stevie. In fact, someone's been telling me porky pies; after searching the internet I've found out that the picture shown above is actually a Manchester Hall clock. The America's Pride clock looks like this:

10624.JPG

Plans for the Manchester Hall clock are available from Wildwood Designs, as are plans for the America's Pride lock.

Gill

Terrible story, I can just imagine my reaction.
It does remind me of a tale my father used to tell, not woodworking but still...

My grandfather was an extremely clever man. A great craftsman and made working scale model steam engines as a hobby. He had been working on one for a very great length of time and finally he had finished it. Apparently a masterpiece with hand cut worm gears made in stainless steel and other such things. One day, the family were moving house, and my father, a young lad at the time comes up to my grandmother with this engine in his arms. "What shall I do with this mam?" he asks. "You can chuck it in the bin for all I care" she replied. I gather she became a bit annoyed with all the time spent on this model. Anyway, that's just what my father, not knowing any better, did. They completed the house move and it was never seen again. My father never did dwell on my grandfather's reaction to this though.

Gill":c1e7t0ve said:
...... They have not had to much to say to me since then. Don't know why??? The daughter even hides when she sees me. And I just haven't felt like starting another.
Gill

It is often easier to do it the second time than the first. In addition, on the second go you will be able to correct the little defects you did on the first one.
I would be more worried about the silence of wife and daughter... and if she hides... she must be pretty scared. Stop running after her with a chisel in your hand :D :D :D

Hi La Truciolara

Fortunately, the story isn't about me but about someone else who suffered this great misfortune.

Gill

Oi Vey.... I've come close to that a time or two but never that close...

I take it the daughter's now a permanent resident in the dawghaus..????

deepest sympathies for the poor guy...

Back