A routing master has joined the board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Neil/moderator
I'm sure this is no big deal, but did Tom give permission to have his real name posted and links added?
If not, then I believe his anonymity should be preserved until he chooses or indicates otherwise.
Sorry :oops:

Hi Aragorn

I had a quick look at Tom's profile and it included the link to his web site.

I felt that as Tom had included his web site that it gave me the go ahead for my post. I hope you feel that is ok.

Cheers
Neil

Many thanks for the introduction. I have no objections to my name being mentioned (As a friend said as long as they spell it correctly). My home page is titled Routing with Tom O'Donnell.
I hope I will be able to assist any routing enthusiast to get to know the benifits of the template guides Hence the name 'Template Tom.

I've been and had a look at your site Tom, and its very interesting. I have never used the guide on my router ever, although I have never had a project where I 'thought' I needed it. I do have some shelves to install soon, which I'd like a curve on, and think it's about time to dig out that guide and make a template!

Adam

Hi Tom

Welcome to the UK. I saw an article about you in one of the UK magazines about six months ago and spent a lot of time looking at your site. It has helped me a lot in opening my eyes with the router.

Thank you.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Adam

asleitch":3r0wd2r9 said:
I have never used the guide on my router.

The only advice I can give you is to ensure that your template is perfect, any small deviance will be replicated on every piece you produce. Spend the time getting the template right and it will be like driving a Ferrari instead of a Ka. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

I'm still wondering if a better aproach would be to use extended fence rails clamped to a pivot point. I'll keep thinking. The project is only getting 'close' to the top of the Tuit list. So I still have some time to plan.

Adam

asleitch":2b0o067s said:
I've been and had a look at your site Tom, and its very interesting. I have never used the guide on my router ever, although I have never had a project where I 'thought' I needed it. I do have some shelves to install soon, which I'd like a curve on, and think it's about time to dig out that guide and make a template!

Adam
Adam
I suppose you are not alone, when I used to give demonstrations at the wood shows throughout Australia I was greeted with the same comment.
It is not a popular accessory used but in my opinion it is the most essential accessory I have for the router.

What sort of curve do you require and if you need any assistance contact me.
Let me know what template guide you are using and the cutters you have available.
My favourite guide which I advise others to purchase is 40mm (1 37/64 in the old imperial measurement

Thanks Neil

Neil what is your experience with the use of the template guides guides? I have been trying to stress the use of the guides for a number of years as I consider them a safe method of using the router and once the templates are constructed I have no hesitation to ask my blind students to use the router.
Tom

Hi Tom

Well I've just spent half an hour trying to find the reference to you in the magazine and failed miserably.

I have always had an interest in templates, during the short time I've been woodworking, but after looking at your site I became a fully paid-up member of the template club.

I had made the mistake of buying a full set of template guides not long after I started using the router, when I really didn't need them.

I hadn't used the 40mm at all until reading about it on your site and now I understand why you recommend it so much.

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":h4tipush said:
It's obviously too early in the morning as I forgot to sign in.

Cheers
Neil

Now 7.30pm 'down under' gosh are we having hot weather lately,. Thank you for your effort in trying to find the magazine article. I may consider writing a few articles for routing magazines in the future. Meanwhile I will still keep myself interested in writing my book (one day it may be published) and teaching whoever wants to learn

Just had a thought....could the router itself be used to make the templates?

If you had a straight cutter which was the same diameter as the template guide you were going to use then surley it would be very easy to create templates by clamping straight-edges or curved surfaces to your template blank and use these as a guide for cutting the template guide?

Is this a commonly used technique?

Mark.

Anonymous":3chtuxhc said:
Just had a thought....could the router itself be used to make the templates?

If you had a straight cutter which was the same diameter as the template guide you were going to use then surley it would be very easy to create templates by clamping straight-edges or curved surfaces to your template blank and use these as a guide for cutting the template guide?

Is this a commonly used technique?

Mark.

Mark
I frequently use the router to make the templates especially where there is circles or parts of a circle to cut true. I also use the router to cut circles from as small as 40mm diameter. What you are saying if I have it correct is you certainly can use the technique to produce templates usually with a top bearing straight cutter. This technique is used when routing a shape for the roll top desk track. I do not follow your reasoning re your last statement "as a guide for cutting a template guide". another question Mark where do you get the curved blank from originally you referred to.

Tom?

Hi Mark
I see what you're asking and like Tom says, the answer is yes - the router can be used to help make the original templates, using straight edges, curved edges or whatever you have lying around the workshop!
You don't just have to make templates on the bandsaw/jigsaw and then sand them smooth. Because every imperfection of the original template is transferred to the workpiece, it's best to use machinery like the router and straight edges to produce the template as they leave very crisp clean edges that need very little clean-up.
Like Tom says - you're unlikely to have many suitable curved edges that can be used with the router, but using an adapted baseplate, you can cut circles or parts of a circle very easily. Again these will come out more accurate that freehanding a circle on the bandsaw and sanding it smooth.
Finally - with a template that is the exact same size as you require for the finished piece, you don't use a template guide as you mentioned in your post. Use a straight cutter that has a ball-bearing top or bottom to duplicate the template.
I use this method every month when I make up table tops or desktops that need to be custom fit into a customer's space, for example into a bay window or alcove. I make an MDF template on site that scribes into the space and then clean up all the edges in the workshop. Voila! One template.

Back