A rocking chair from Down Under

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

This is my first post in this forum, so be gentle with me :)

Here is a picture of a rocking chair that I designed (using AutoSketch) and built in a style reminiscent of Sam Maloof's rockers, but with an upholstered leather slip seat rather than the solid-wood seat of his classic chairs. The joints between the side- and back-rails and the back legs are mortice-and tenon; the legs are joined to the rockers, and the arms are joined to the legs, with dowel joints.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/890 ... 5302WJOYUf

I am afraid I don't have the skill to provide a website comparable to Chris Knight's, but if you want to obtain plans, have a look at my website:

http://www.st.net.au/~dundas

Rockerau

Rockerau,
Welcome to the forum.

That is a great chair - I am impressed! Especially by the fact that you designed it yourself. I am still in awe of Hal Taylor's design and often wonder how long it took to figure some details out. You have obviously travelled that route too and solved what must be tricky jointing and angling issues.

I like the choice of wood too. The headrest has a lovely figure. It looks as if it is from one piece - how much of a curve is in there - between the legs?

Well done indeed!

Keep up the good work Rocker, and I can tell the forum members the chair is also comfortable , because I sat in one during my visit to your home in Australia earlier this year.

Hi Rockerau,
Welcome to the Forum, nice to have you aboard!
The chair looks great-I might have to get a set of plans off you :D
Cheers,
Philly

Devonwoody,
Many thanks for pointing me to this forum , and for your endorsement of my chair :D

Waterhead,
The top back rail of my chair is made from 48 mm thick stock, and the curve on it has a radius of just over 2 m. Actually, with CAD software, it was relatively easy to design the chair; I didn't even have to make a prototype. It seemed to work out right first time, but that was probably because I took the most important parameters from Sam Maloof's article in the Fine Woodworking book "Chairs and Beds".

rockerau

Welcome to the forum rock' :D

By the looks of things you'll be a valued member with plenty to contribute so expect plenty of PM's!!! :wink:

Beautiful chair rock! Very elegant and a fantastic colour. What finish did you use? If thats' the natural colour of the wood it really seems to glow.

Keep up the good work!

Ta muchly

Gary

Gary,

The finish on my chair is a mixture of Danish oil and gloss polyurethane, with a top coat of wax. The wood is the natural colour of Tasmanian blackwood; but I was very fortunate to obtain a board containing a quilted figure, which I used for the arms and the back rails.

rockerau

Latest posts

Back