A question of construction and materials.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I contacted supersips with the initial drawing from the architect, in kit form they quoted £14,000 - bare in mind it will still need erecting,cladding, doors windows etc, seems expensive to me over timber frame or even brick and block on 10m x 5m box?

Also look at cedral cladding as an alternative to hardie board. IIRC it’s a bit thicker than the hardie plank.
Thoroughly recommended, I cursed it when installing it as it’s not as easy as timber. But just not having to repaint has already made up for it.

Still find it strange that some authorities accept a timber frame, appropriately clad as non combustible and others don’t. Mine insisted on block!

I contacted supersips with the initial drawing from the architect, in kit form they quoted £14,000 - bare in mind it will still need erecting,cladding, doors windows etc, seems expensive to me over timber frame or even brick and block on 10m x 5m box?
That’s one downside to SIPS, expensive in small quantities.
Also not, adaptable in that the design needs to be pinned down before manufacture, you can’t just ask the builder to shift that window along a bit.

Other than that, as others have said no idea why they are not more popular. Along with metal roof tiles, bitumized boards as sarking/under cladding, or any of the many products/techniques used elsewhere in the world. In my opinion, people just don’t like change, innovation or anything slightly different. We’re still building brick/block cavity wall properties, which other than a bit of insulation, designs haven’t changed in almost a 100 years!
Other than the fact that the builders now have to wear a high viz, you’d struggle to see the difference between a building site today and one of 50 years ago.

And the look of horror you get from some people if you talk about a timber building, you’d think you’d just farted in their face😀
I’ve spent a fair amount of time in Norway and Sweden, beautiful, warm, comfortable, adaptable, efficient wooden buildings.

Also look at cedral cladding as an alternative to hardie board. IIRC it’s a bit thicker than the hardie plank.
Thoroughly recommended, I cursed it when installing it as it’s not as easy as timber. But just not having to repaint has already made up for it.

Still find it strange that some authorities accept a timber frame, appropriately clad as non combustible and others don’t. Mine insisted on block!

So, with a timber frame, what vapour barrier or simmilar is required between the frame and the cladding
bitumized boards as sarking/under cladding,
Trying to get my head around the best method from the start.

So, with a timber frame, what vapour barrier or simmilar is required between the frame and the cladding

We did a self-build house about 8 years ago - used a timber-frame package from Potton. The frame arrived as factory-made panels, 140mm studs and OSB panel, with120mm of foam insulation between the studs. The outside was covered with a metallised Tyvek vapour-control membrane. Once the panels were up, a similar membrane was fixed to the inside of the studs, followed by 48mm battens to support internal plasterboard, providing a service cavity. Outside is clad mostly with brick, with a 50mm cavity to the timber frame, or softwood shiplap on 50mm battens.

The house is very well insulated, cosy and toasty!

For a shed, I’d be inclined to fix something like Marley Eternit on 50mm battens fixed to the outside of the timber frame panels, with some cavity ventilation.

Don't think there is a best method, depends on the situation, use of building, desired wall thickness, single or double skin, budget, how much insulation you want to put in, and where it is going. etc
If its single skin, I'd go with exterior wood fibre boards, (stops cold bridging better than OSB/PLY) breathable membrane, battens (double battening is a good idea) and cladding. Personally I'd construct so that it could be habitable in the future (or could easily be made habitable)
keep researching, what does the architect advise?

Future SIPS are a different co, as far as I know.

Back