A Question for users of Chestnut Stains ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Thrax

Established Member
Reaction score
What two spirit stains mixed together will give as near black as possible or is black actually available from this range of stains ?

Cheers

Dr. Thrax":2719hzbu said:
What two spirit stains mixed together will give as near black as possible or is black actually available from this range of stains ?

Cheers

They have an "ebony" effect - but I doubt you'll get an answer out of Terry until next week as he's at the Axminster show.

Adam

Hi Dave.T

Depends what you want it for, but Chestnut ebonising lacquer might be suitable. Comes in an aerosol spray can and, as the name suggests, gives an ebony like finish. Generally available. Axminster have it (order code 118024, £5.36 for a 400ml can).

Cheers,

Trev.

Hello Dave T,

Black is certainly available in the spirit stains, depends what you want to do with the finish.

If you want to let the timber, grain or whatever show through go for the spirit stain. If not go for the ebonising lacquer, I use this on the inside of hollow forms to give the "black hole" look.

Regards....Mike

Thanks for your replies. Just turning an idea over in my mind, no specific project in mind as yet :wink:

Back