a prayer to all in the M5 crash

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytim1458

Established Member
Reaction score
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-15603124

Sad to see and hear i pray for all those that have lost their lives and all those that have been injured i wish all that have survived the crash a speedy recovery and wish them well.
Tim

I agree with everything you say, Tim. Truly shocking.

Driving down a motorway is such a familar experience for most of us, it's easy to become complacent and lose concentration. Let's all take extra care.

Spare a thought too for the emergency services. I know such things affect them dreadfully, and in this case made worse by getting there early but being powerless to help some.

I fear they may never ascertain an "exact" cause, although those at the front may have survived to bear witness. That stretch is never nice, as the Taunton junction is on a curve with a short ramp, and there's often dense mist/fog at this time of year as it's just south of a flood plain.

Having not driven the M5 much recently, I had to take smallest to and from Birmingham airport a fortnight ago. On the second trip, at night, both the M5 and M42 had rolling fog banks, not as bad as Taunton on Friday, but still alarming as they were sharply defined and dense.

I lost count of the number of lunatics doing 100+MPH in the fast lane. Approaching traffic with a closing speed of more than 30MPH, how on earth would they cope with an unpredicted move, especially in the wet?

One of the best memorials wouldn't be more electronics or lower speed limits, but to get police back to patrolling motorways more often and very visibly. On the stretch of the M5 through Somerset and Gloucestershire many police parking ramps are obviously abandoned.

And should we re-test drivers every few years, or add motorway driving to the current test syllabus?

Whatever the conclusion of the investigation, thoughts and prayers are definitely with the families of those affected, and the professionals too.

E.

I also sympathise to all those involved at this terrible accident.

Was there not an accident on this stretch some years back and it was also bonfire time? I seem to recall that a witness blamed the bonfire as a distraction at the time?

Back