A post about nothing much at all.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a smallish apple tree trunk available. 5 footish. Diameter: Apple tree size. I painted ends within 20 minutes of cutting. Stored outside but under shelter. Been about a year (2?) so will need a few more. Was going to keep it for tool handles but that's not viable now. Ftagh in the spirit of this thread. I'm a skip dipper. Mad not to be. I'm in Broxbourne Herts. Collection only.
If I get no replies I'll stick it in sales. Anyone interested pm and its first come etc.
I have a smallish apple tree trunk available. 5 footish. Diameter: Apple tree size. I painted ends within 20 minutes of cutting. Stored outside but under shelter. Been about a year (2?) so will need a few more. Was going to keep it for tool handles but that's not viable now. Ftagh in the spirit of this thread. I'm a skip dipper. Mad not to be. I'm in Broxbourne Herts. Collection only.
If I get no replies I'll stick it in sales. Anyone interested pm and its first come etc.
Me, please. If it's still available, where and when can I collect?

We have a 'Market' WhatsApp group in our local village. I've had some really good things for the Grand Daughters like an Animal bookcase. small table and chairs with wide legs to reduce tipping.

There's something on there most days usually for free but sometimes for a small donation.

Phil

Only have something useful to say here every few years, so not sure if my interest in this trunk was sent to the right place, this is a second go. If no one else wants it I'd like it please. Thanks. M

Proud skip diver - last encounter just a few days ago snagging most of a sheet of 12mm MDF and just what I was needing (after being let down by Ikeas wood pile), from a lady's skip with what can only be described as "purple rinse beehive" (her not the skip). I share a house with a builder with the same penchant, though he gets it "at source", though has many times called me or told me about "building site X I passed" and I've had some very nice finds - always ask permission obvs.

One day I might actually make stuff with it - this wood pile is getting pretty serious now....

As for the local "recycling centre" the staff seem to not understand that taking stuff out for me to use is "recycling" - last time I tried I got a stern talking to from a jobsworth woman saying "that's company property". I can't imagine they would get much more money from it than selling it though - so now when I go there I just try not to look at what's in the bins - just too depressing.

Last edited:
Proud skip diver - last encounter just a few days ago snagging most of a sheet of 12mm MDF and just what I was needing (after being let down by Ikeas wood pile), from a lady's skip with what can only be described as "purple rinse beehive" (her not the skip). I share a house with a builder with the same penchant, though he gets it "at source", though has many times called me or told me about "building site X I passed" and I've had some very nice finds - always ask permission obvs.

One day I might actually make stuff with it - this wood pile is getting pretty serious now....

As for the local "recycling centre" the staff seem to not understand that taking stuff out for me to use is "recycling" - last time I tried I got a stern talking to from a jobsworth woman saying "that's company property". I can't imagine they would get much more money from it than selling it though - so now when I go there I just try not to look at what's in the bins - just too depressing.
Sounds like a serious case of OSD (over skip diving )

I have this sign in my workshop (well i did till i moved ) I will print a new one when i have finished new workshop
20200902_003306.jpg

On the one hand it greatly pleases me to find treasure in our marina skips - I have quite an amount of stainless, brass, bronze and lengths of teak as well, but it's also depressing that we produce so much waste. My best ever score was a non operational Furuno brand weatherfax machine - basically a SSB radio married to a fax machine which will when connected to a 12v power source and an aerial give worldwide sea level atmospheric pressure maps. It was dumped because on opening it up one of the little nylon gears driving the paper roller was broken. New gear wheel for $8 = working weatherfax. Is it really not worth anyone's time to repair this stuff anymore?
And a lesson learned.... we lived on our yacht for a couple of years and once on a passage north found an anchor light floating in the tide. It was a beauty, fully waterproof, multiple LED's, fresnel lens, the works.
I kept it on board for well over a year but my wife got sick of it rolling around in back of a cupboard so I dumped it. The very next week we met up with our son and his wife on their boat. They'd had a rough trip, had an uncontrolled gybe on a downwind leg resulting in the boom's topping lift wrapping around the anchor light and ripping it off and over the side. 'I don't suppose... by any chance...' he asked.
Don't ditch nothing.

On the one hand it greatly pleases me to find treasure in our marina skips - I have quite an amount of stainless, brass, bronze and lengths of teak as well, but it's also depressing that we produce so much waste. My best ever score was a non operational Furuno brand weatherfax machine - basically a SSB radio married to a fax machine which will when connected to a 12v power source and an aerial give worldwide sea level atmospheric pressure maps. It was dumped because on opening it up one of the little nylon gears driving the paper roller was broken. New gear wheel for $8 = working weatherfax. Is it really not worth anyone's time to repair this stuff anymore?
And a lesson learned.... we lived on our yacht for a couple of years and once on a passage north found an anchor light floating in the tide. It was a beauty, fully waterproof, multiple LED's, fresnel lens, the works.
I kept it on board for well over a year but my wife got sick of it rolling around in back of a cupboard so I dumped it. The very next week we met up with our son and his wife on their boat. They'd had a rough trip, had an uncontrolled gybe on a downwind leg resulting in the boom's topping lift wrapping around the anchor light and ripping it off and over the side. 'I don't suppose... by any chance...' he asked.
Don't ditch nothing.
I used to enjoy reading weatherfax come through on the yacht I sailed on!

[snip]
Don't ditch nothing.

And (mostly) women wonder why men hoard stuff - because we've all got stories about ditching an item only to need it within a short time period; mine is my Aunt (I did say mostly women) keeping "spare" stair spindles for 10 years, then eventually badgered into ditching them, only to have some eejit removal men break 3 getting an old bed and some furniture down the stairs 2 months later, iirc they ended up replacing the lot, and you can bet she has spares someplace :) - we keep these things as "amulets / totems against breakage" :)

Several thing's I own (electronic items) I've bought 2 of, because I knew I'd have to replace it one day and wanted that exact same thing - for each of those, years later I'm still using the first one; this (quite expensive gaming keyboard, with some interesting features no longer being made) is about 10 years old now, still works just fine, gaming mouse, the same.

And (mostly) women wonder why men hoard stuff - because we've all got stories about ditching an item only to need it within a short time period; mine is my Aunt (I did say mostly women) keeping "spare" stair spindles for 10 years, then eventually badgered into ditching them, only to have some eejit removal men break 3 getting an old bed and some furniture down the stairs 2 months later, iirc they ended up replacing the lot, and you can bet she has spares someplace :) - we keep these things as "amulets / totems against breakage" :)

Several thing's I own (electronic items) I've bought 2 of, because I knew I'd have to replace it one day and wanted that exact same thing - for each of those, years later I'm still using the first one; this (quite expensive gaming keyboard, with some interesting features no longer being made) is about 10 years old now, still works just fine, gaming mouse, the same.
Are you suggesting the ladies don’t hoard?

You just haven’t looked hard enough! Old clothes and bits of material are favourites from my experience.

My god sir thought you meant you ditched your aunt only to find you needed her soon after 😂😂

I got these out a skip a little bit back. Cycling home from my sisters I spotted them in a door which had been pretty much broken up, so was reasonably easy to get them out(They were the panels)

6mm quartered oak. Very nice find if i say so myself. 3x 8 1/2"-9" and 1x 6 1/2" wide, all 35 1/2" long.
DSCF2882.JPG
DSCF2883.JPG

Last edited:
I used to do a bit of skip diving at work as some good stuff ended up in the scrap bins outside our maintenance!

The last thing I brought home was hundreds of HSS twist drills, Most of them hadn't been used! Some dignitary was visiting so they cleared the maintenance dept up and binned everything that was out, It was hard to carry the large biscuit tin that I filled with drill bits!

Also brought a drill home that was binned by contractors as they swapped over fully to battery tools!

This thing is a beast!!
yF7MGLw.jpg

I also brought two Worx batteries and fast (45 minute) charger home, Looked online to see what they fitted and then bought a drill off fleabay, It's the best battery drill i've ever owned for power and always still having charge in the batteries!

The batteries were in my cabinet at work for two years, When I put them on charge four of the five lights lit up, It only took ten mins each for full charge, Turned out one of the fitters put the drill on the floor then accidentally backed over it with a fork lift truck!
FHILDlo.jpg

The drill was £20 (I was shill bidded) and the case was £8 from fleabay too!, When I left work in 2020, I left thre large cabs full of tools, I gave my keys to a mate so he inherited them!!

John (y)

Weve got a scrap guy near us who parks a trailer or a transit flatbed nearby, people go and chuck their metal in.... ive had a few bits off him. I phone him and we agree on a price. He said you wouldnt believe hiw many people just take stuff. Obviously once its in his trailer, its his.

I got a stihl 023 chainsaw for a 5er. I stripped it, cleaned it up, fixed a fuel line and cleaned up the electrical connections and it fired right up! Sold it last year for 75

Latest posts

Back