a personal view on axminster tool 2005

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":3adhoqxc said:
I have lost count of the number of times I have seen wondrous models, embodying hundreds of man hours, stood on a piece of badly varnished, un-edged 3/4 ply, with a dymo-label stuck on, off centre and out of true.

Astonishing!
Ah, but how often have you seen a stunningly executed piece of furniture totally ruined by poor finishing?

Cheers, Alf

Drifting slightly back closer to the topic again. That's so rare it's probably worth a diary entry...

and you guys complain about me going off topic.

anyway sorry alf i forgot i must not use consultants words, just occassionally they actually mean what they say.

i agree though it is nice to see how people combine various
disciplines, but none the less, i just wonder whether the amateur
is put off by the too clever.

paul :lol:

Interesting review of the show engineer.

I didn't go because it is too far and also because I expected exactly what you found.

i think a little extra effort to make these things less of a selling spree would not go amiss.

the conversations with Rob, David and Tom would have been almost worth the mileage and cost, but I have enough tools and am not really inrterested in seeing or buying more. (he says)

However, the photos of the furniture that DaveL posted were pretty impressive and I am not sure that you are not being a little unfair to the craftsmen that produced them.

tony,
sorry i had no intention to denigrate the work of anyone,
i am always appreciative of the craftsmanship of anyone
even those who think themselves bodgers,(not chairmakers!)
we all have to start somewhere, and i am ever aware that
so far none of you have seen any of my work.

but what concerns me is that some exhibition furniture may be only
made for show, not for work.

But, then at the end of the day, maybe it was only the way it was displayed that disappointed me. for instance, there was
a really nice desk made by an amateur, but it was in the far corner by which time all viewers would be tired and bored.

i buy good tools because it makes working easier and maybe
improves my skills too, and sometimes, i need to ask how to
improve my technique, so i go to shows. then i think what would attract
more visitors, and that is from where i offer my comments.

paul :)

Trev, Alf, Pete - thanks. I may have a go at replacing the hinges one of these days.

And back to your original post Paul (sorry) - I tend to agree - however many shows I attend I do always find them just a little disappointing. At the end of the day they are really big shops with probably a lot more hard sell than the average shop. I've realised unless you're after something and want to see it in the flesh it's not really worth going. However Tools 2005 has been the exception to some degree - watching Rob C cut dovetails for the first time was awesome, and as you say chatting to the big woodworking names is rewarding. I like the exhibition furniture - it's meant to be inspiring - like catwalk fashion - it's not necessarily furnture you'd have in your house (although I wouldn't turn a lot of it down).

Cheers

Gidon

Back