A(nother) box - and some challenges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
condeesteso":ul62np0b said:
Yes David, indeed I have. I did consider the risks but the walnut had been sized and kept in the house for a few months, and has been extremely stable, also it was milled originally over 20 years ago. I shall have to wait and see as it has a lifetime guarantee with it... me or the box, it's a form of gambling I think :lol:
It' a close call. The box is fairly wide and the walnut is very well conditioned, it's also known to be extremely stable once it is fully stabilised...one of the reasons it's used for top-endy shotgun stocks I believe. However, given the recent run of seasonal summer weather :roll: and then the onset of autumn/winter with the CH coming on, there may be the slimmest chance that the walnut will move and joints may open. I didn't initially notice that it was solid...I think had I been making it I'd have made band sawn veneers over a ply substrate and then lipped it with the ebony - Rob

Agreed Rob, that was considered. From the outset I did explain to client that solid wood moves, we were sitting at her oak dining table at the time and the breadboard ends were protruding about 1/4" (a Heals table) so that helped the case.
The mitres are able to show even the smallest movement so I am pushing my luck somewhat, I know. I wonder slightly if the wildness of grain may actually help my case, as being more interlocked... but that is just a hunch and wishful thinking possibly.
It will be fairly local to me and I intend to monitor it for some years to come.
If anything bad happens quickly I shall own up as a warning to others.

p.s. Tom - I'll check dimensions etc and get back. Re choice of woods as you use small amounts you can justify going for fine quality hardwoods, exotics etc. That decision is probably more aesthetic than technical. Fundamentally most would say build a carcass (high quality ply etc) and veneer it (for stability, see above!).
For inspiration and also hardware take a look at the gallery at Ian Hawthorne's site: http://hawthornecrafts.com/ .

edit - here's the board the top and base came from, about 8 foot :lol: . Known to be milled over 20 years ago and no knowledge whether it has ever seen a kiln, but was about 9% when I got it having been stored in a fully enclosed warehouse, then was sized down and taken into the house for ages. I have some bits left over :shock:
board.jpg

Attachments

• board.jpg
    board.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 74
For the sake of completing... done. finished, delivered. I think I may build a new bench next... done with small for now :wink:
b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b5.jpg

b6.jpg

b7.jpg

b8.jpg

b9.jpg

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 64
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 64
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 64
  • b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 64
  • b6.jpg
    b6.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 64
  • b7.jpg
    b7.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 64
  • b8.jpg
    b8.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 64
  • b9.jpg
    b9.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 64
Ditto, they are eye catching (not in a literal sense I hope :) ). Not so sure I like the walnut and ebony mix on second viewing, but its a lovely piece for sure, brass plaque a nice touch.

What I really cant belive that this was happening in july, where the hell has this year gone :(

Agreed - really lovely piece of work! Congratulations on finishing it.

Haven't seen it completely finished in person but I did see it nearly complete and it is a piece of art without question!

I also thought about the walnut/ebony mix but it works entirely because of the lighter inserts. It works in a very subtle way...something I have come to appreciate in your eye for detail Douglas.

And it is extremely nice of you to practice the joints in miniature so that you can perfect your bench-making skills at this opportune moment! 8) :wink:

Now...about that bench... :mrgreen:

Jim

Gorgeous Douglas – the ebony and the walnut is just the perfect contrast. Love the tray lifts ties in perfectly. I am sure it will be handed down for centuries and once the word spreads you will be snowed under with boxes :)

Cheers

Ian

I agree with all others, it is a beautiful box and I particularly congratulate you for the workmanship in achieving a perfect join between lid and carcass.

I wish to say a real big thank you to all. I didn't post the pics to attract compliments, but felt I needed to finish the thread.
I imagine we all agree that it is the fellow-makers whose opinions carry real weight. I am truly flattered.
On a few practical notes, the ebony/walnut was agreed between me and client, the need was serious understatement. I had considered box string but I felt a bit 'loud'.
I am extremely aware that I take a risk on material stability over years (solid woods) but I have accounted above for the extreme care I took to check the walnut's inherent stability.
Commercially... yes the year has flown. I actually started this in April I think (I don't mean I have done nothing else since!). It might have paid me about £2.50/hr (is that actually legal? :lol: :lol: :lol: )

I really enjoyed it, it pushed me and helps define next and new levels. I feel a bit of wych elm coming on... there is always another hill to climb.

Many thanks indeed for your support and informed evaluations.

re plaque, no, outside my scope. Was done by a local free-hand engraver, who went to some trouble to match fonts and get the spacing etc I wanted. They are out there of course, we just need to find them!

Back