A nostaligic diversion (for me that is!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aragorn

Established Member
Reaction score
The last time I made this puzzle, I was 10 years old. I remember being totally obsessed with it when I saw it somewhere (a book I guess?) and just had to figure it out.
Had some free time this afternoon, and decided to knock out another. It looks slightly neater than I recall the "prototype" looking 20 odd years ago!
Aww, takes me back to my Dad's tiny workshop, a wooden vice and a junior hacksaw... :oops:

DovetailBlock2.jpg

'bout time I had a new avatar anyway :D

I understand that joint is popular in Japan when there's a need to connect upright structural supports. It's usually reinforced with a spline, though.

Deceptively simple to make, once you know how it's done ;) , but that doesn't detract from the quality of yours, Aragorn. Nicely done.

Gill

He Aragorn, What about making those as a nice give-away with your kitchen

Have your name branded in the top, and its a nice peace of marketing :wink:

McLuma

Dennis, you are just not trying, think outside the box.

Aragorn, At age 10 did you really make one of these with a hacksaw?
Was the present one cut by hand or machine?

Andy

Bootiful example. Love the way you've got the grain. I can remember being fascinated with one made by a friend of mine - lucky for me he showed me how it was done or I'd have driven myself crazy wondering!

Dennis, think "sliding"...

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2kcyirbh said:
think "sliding"...

Well I was , but Gill's comment about splines has confused me. :?

I'm also trying to work out what can be done by a junior hacksaw wielding 10 year old or is that like trying to work out how good Wolfgang Amadeus was at piano playing aged three? :shock:

I'm taking the dogs out for a walk now and I fully expect an answer by the time I come back!!!
:lol:

Cheers

Tim

sometimes when thinking hard about a problem it is useful to approach the problem from a slightly different angle.

Andy

tim":2wpwpw40 said:
Alf":2wpwpw40 said:
think "sliding"...
Well I was , but Gill's comment about splines has confused me. :?
Ah, that's an addition used by those cunning Japanese fellows in their joinery to stop things sliding when you don't want them to. Sort of key, I suppose. Not present in this case.

tim":2wpwpw40 said:
I'm also trying to work out what can be done by a junior hacksaw wielding 10 year old or is that like trying to work out how good Wolfgang Amadeus was at piano playing aged three? :shock:
Well I was wielding the same tool, at probably much the same time and age it seems, and it would have been beyond me. But I bet my cutlasses were better... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I presume the object looks the same when viewed from the opposite direction :wink: Very neat - must have a go at one myself.

Philly":1jpb9s3c said:
Is there a 45 degree thing going on there?? :wink:
I think that wink puts you on the brink of the link... :wink:

dedee":1jpb9s3c said:
Aragorn, At age 10 did you really make one of these with a hacksaw?
At age 10 I didn't know much about the right tool for the right job! This was indeed done with the hacksaw (assumed it was my saw because it was smaller than Dad's) and a chisel. But like I said, it didn't work out as neat as today's version!

dedee then":1jpb9s3c said:
Was the present one cut by hand or machine?
Not a handtool in sight, I'm ashamed to say :oops:

Alf":1jpb9s3c said:
Love the way you've got the grain.
Some of the best results come by complete chance, don't they!? :wink:

Dennis, think "sliding"...
Ssssh! I'm enjoying the squirming! :twisted:

dedee later":1jpb9s3c said:
sometimes when thinking hard about a problem it is useful to approach the problem from a slightly different angle.
Very well put! :lol:

... But I bet my cutlasses were better... :lol:
I won't contest that. I made a mean bow and arrow though!

White House Workshop":1jpb9s3c said:
I presume the object looks the same when viewed from the opposite direction
It does indeed.

And I thought there might be a comment on the Elm. I think it's just a lovely wood. Such an interesting grain.
Solution photo to be posted on Friday, as I'm off for a day - should anyone still need it by then that is!! :wink:

:shock: :shock:
Ooohhhh kayyy! :shock: Maybe I'll have to leave that to the weekend, Chris!
Have you figured it out? Ever tried it?

Its amazing how a walk can clear the mind - got it now and have worked out the spline element as well.

Aragorn - I am very impressed with your hacksaw abilities as a youngster :shock:

I have seen your puzzle somewhere before Chris, which is really annoying because I'm going to have work that one out as well since I can't remember how it worked :x

T

waterhead37":2c4gt2zv said:
I have never made it
I have. Just used up a perfectly good Tuit doing it too! :roll: :lol:

Click for larger pic

At least, I assume there's only one way to do it... :?

Cheers, Alf

waterhead37":2jk1n2hy said:
That was quick!
Ah well, when inspiration strikes there's no stopping me. Just a shame it doesn't happen more often. :oops: Not hard to do the actual joint cutting, except the, er, "key" one which I had to do again 'cos it was a bit too loose, but I wouldn't say it's the neatest work I've ever done. Thank goodness for the lying ways of the camera... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

sorry for being thick, i havew mulled both puzzles over and I can't work either out.... someone please show me the light :oops:

Back