A nostaligic diversion (for me that is!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris:

I have figured out how it could be done, but am nowhere near my workshop to try it. :( Am I correct in assuming that the hidden pieces do not have to be the same shape as the visible parts? Not all of them anyway? Twist, twist...... :wink:

Hi All
Dont want to spoil anyones fun but I think this is the answer...
blcok.jpg

Does that look right to anyone???
Cheers
Philly :D

Brian,

There is a total of three pieces of wood and the part of each piece that is hidden in the centre cruciform joint is not necessarily identical one with the other..

Philly

That was my best guess too :wink:

I think you would make the sliding Dts on along larger piece and then cut the square at an angle to the original

White House Workshop":25fwjega said:
Twist, twist...... :wink:
Warm, warm... :D

Further to Chiba's links, Taunton Press' Encyclopedia of Wood Joints is along similar lines, and another eye opener. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Philly's only slightly huge picture is how I figured to do Aragorn's cube...

The other one is very similar to a puzzle I have, except my puzzle has about 12 pieces in it, all solid, all reaching from one side to t'other of the resulting shape. I suspect the basic 3 piece setup is the root of the one I have. Unfortunately, I haven't done my puzzle for years, and dare not dismantle it, cos I doubt I'd be able to get it back together again! And I certainly wouldn't like to make one without dismantling it!

Right, if you don't want to know the result, look away now! All thumbnails clickable for a larger version.

T
H
I
S

I
S

A

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Above: The parts

Above: Moved round clockwise slightly in this pic

I hope that helps? No way I could work it out on paper, hence making one!

Cheers, Alf

very very clever. Now how about the same for Aragorn's puzzle? :?:

WiZeR":linmcjuw said:
very very clever. Now how about the same for Aragorn's puzzle? :?:
Ah, he can do that one. I've never yet made one. It's just a couple of sliding dovetails; the two blocks slide apart along the diagonal rather than across from side to side which makes it look like an impossible joint. Philly needs to work on his drawing skills a bit to make it clearer... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

right you lot i have been sitting on the floor with a pile of wood working mags looking for the impossible dovetail it was in the back of my mind i had seen it before .its in trad woodworking no 92 january 1998 page 45 .
frank is going to find a nice dark room to lie down in .and cover my head with me anorack :shock:

Well, I think most of you knew it or worked it out, just as I thought you would!
Sorry - I didn't do any WIP photos, but here's the puzzle pulled apart:

DovetailBlock3.jpg

...and here's the two halves.

DovetailBlock4.jpg

So simple when you know how!

Alf - I'm very impressed 8)
Chiba - great links. :D

thank you aragorn, deffo going to try that one day
:lol:

Back