A nice finish for elm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selwyn

Established Member
Reaction score
Just bought a hand made elm dresser. Its gone a bit orangey. Any ideas for a nice finish for it?

I think Danish oil always goes well on elm and easy to maintain. It depends on what the original finish was

a mix of carnuba and beeswax with a splash of either orange ore lemon oil. Gives a lovely sheen and fragrance to enhance that wonderfull colour from the Elm (my favourite native wood)

I did an Elm table in Danish oil, very nice. However, I did an elm chest of drawers in Danish oil, and areas of end grain have gone very dark over the years. Not nice.

My favourite finish is hard wax oil. My choice is Fiddes semi gloss, 4 to 5 thin coats applied with a white cotton rag, denib between coats. You get a really nice depth and a shine. Easy to apply. Easy to repair if damaged. You can get small samples for a pound or two to try.

I'm not sure if I fancy danish oil as I feel it goes a bit orangy

I do have some fiddes hard wax oil actually so I think a good suggestion

a mix of carnuba and beeswax with a splash of either orange ore lemon oil. Gives a lovely sheen and fragrance to enhance that wonderfull colour from the Elm (my favourite native wood)

Why do you like elm so much out of interest?

I think besides being enjoyable to work with the pic below says it all

1629409779682.png

Back