A newbie's workshop tour.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jarviser":2f40bfqf said:
I am still having problems wirh uploadit.org as the pics are HUGE when I try a preview.
Judging by the download time the pics are huge on AOL too; they're just displayed small. What you need to do is reduce the image and/or file size. If you use Windoze XP there's a handy image resizer amongst the "Power Toys". Alternatively Picasa's good for more advanced stuff too.

And yep, it's small alright. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

J

Looks like you're well organised. I have a comment on your tool heater, if I may be so bold. What you are doing is absolutely fine but... There's always a but isn't there. You may want to consider the laws of physics etc, energy in = energy out, if the energy in is electrical i.e watts, and the output is light, then the amount of heat given off is only the light bulbs inability to convert the energy to light efficiently. If you were to use a heater tube 60watts per foot, then all the energy (near enough) is converted to heat as that's what it is designed to do ,and they last indefinately :) . Just a thought.

Cheers Alan

Woody Alan":neqfd3h3 said:
....the amount of heat given off is only the light bulbs inability to convert the energy to light efficiently. If you were to use a heater tube 60watts per foot, then all the energy (near enough) is converted to heat as that's what it is designed to do ,and they last indefinately :) . Just a thought.

Cheers Alan

You are quite right in that as light sources bulbs are very inefficient, and most of the energy comes out as heat. In fact in a lightproof box, the light is also converted to heat when absorbed in the walls. So I would argue that as heaters, fully enclosed bulbs are 100% efficient. They cost me about £1 a year to replace. I guess I could buy two 1-foot tubes but that's not in my nature - like using the old dry iron upside down to heat my glue pot, I already had all the bits in my garage! What the environmentalists forget is that for every low-energy lightbulb I fit in my house or workshop, I have to crank up the central heating by 50 watts. We are probably moving off the woodwork theme now though! (I love physics) :D

Jarviser
your certainly seem to be close to getting a quart into a pint pot - and so tidy too

Andy

ps how warm do you keep that tool cupboard?

an I thought my shop was small......sheesh... I'd have t suck in and walk sideways to get anything done...

nice shop Jarviser.. :wink:

Back