A New Tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
I have never owned a band saw. :(
pause for effect
I have used band saws but they were set up for cutting metal, they made short work of 1" steel plate but were not very good when used for cutting wood :cry:

I have bid on EBay for a number of different band saws over the last month and at last got one. :D
It was over 100 miles away but I only had to pay for it and it was mine. :D
A nice Elektra Beckum BAS 315 :D

I drove from Sudbury to north of Boston, found the house and the chap says "I have a little problem with the saw" . Oh *#@~$%^er thinks I, 110 miles from home :twisted: He had been to his workshop, taken the saw of the stand and just stood it in the back of his van (with the stand). He took a corner too fast on the way home, the saw fell over and the damage was done. The saw fell on to the table and the alloy casting holding the table on to the body of the saw cracked. :twisted: :( :cry:

A reduction on price was made and the saw went in the back of the car. Here is the damage when I got the saw into the workshop.
Dscn2464s.jpg

By now the whole lug had come off. Monday saw me trying to buy a new casting, without luck. Monday evening while pottering in the workshop, thinking this is quite a big lemon I had bought, I found a piece of aluminium angle. A cunning plan evolved to fix the saw. :shock:
Dscn2466s.jpg

After careful cleaning the angle was glued on to the casting along with the broken lug.
Dscn2467s.jpg

Once the epoxy was set, holes and slots were made and the casting was ready for refitting.
Dscn2471s.jpg

I reassembled the saw.
Dscn2473s.jpg

And with the supplied blade tried cutting a piece of scrap Iroko
Dscn2475s.jpg

I was well pleased, but concerned by the noise the blade guide made. On closer examition the side bearings on the top guide were both seized. £8 bought two new bearings and the saw is quiet in use.

I am a very happy chap, I have re-sawn 4” posts into 1” sections it’s a magic tool and can now see why some forum members say a table saw is not as useful as a band saw. 8)

Top stuff - I hope you get a very generous reduction.

It is fun getting something thats broke back into tip-top condition.

Adam

DaveL":28xj5see said:
I have used band saws but they were set up for cutting metal, they made short work of 1" steel plate but were not very good when used for cutting wood :cry:
It's not the machine but the blade that makes the difference although we used a very coarse blade on steel in the past that worked perfectly on wood. Mind you, we were cutting 3-6 inches thick 5%chrome steel.
The old Startrites must have thought they were on holiday cutting wood. hehe

Well Dave, welcome to the 315 owners club. That makes two of us....
You'll find it's perfectly adequate for most needs and as you say, a very handy tool. Hope you got a manual although there's not much in it.
88" blade by the way.
And be very careful about tightening the aluminium guide mountings, rather fragile.

Rgds

Noel

That makes three of us!

Well done with the repair, Dave. The 315 should serve you well, although mine really came into its own when I started using Dure Edge blades - they are excellent, well worth getting and no more costly than inferior ones. Ripped a 4" thick slab of wet walnut yesterday - no problem. No website for Dure Edge - telephone: 08702-252337. They are extremely helpful and their mail order service, in my experience, is excellent.

Yes, I found out about the lower guide block, too, Noely!

Cheers,

Trev.

I'm glad you managed to fix it Dave. It looks as though you have also managed to fix the angle with a couple of bolts as well as gluing it. It should last as long as the rest of the saw easily.

Yep, love that feeling when you get something up and running thats bandjaxed.

Great idea for the repair. :)

I bought a second hand startrite 351 bandsaw a while ago on the promise it only had seen light work, and me too ignorant to spot the difference, bought it.

On closer inspection it was obvious that the poor old thing had cut for Britain, but over time with a few spares and basically stripping the thing down and putting it back together again I have managed to get the old beast cutting sweetly and true.

I could not be without my bandsaw now :)

cheers

Billzee

DaveL":uqj345vm said:
it’s a magic tool and can now see why some forum members say a table saw is not as useful as a band saw. 8)
Hallelujah brother, you have done see da light. :D Great repair job, and 20% off for a bit of work that results in what looks to be a stronger solution than the original has gotta be good. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Well thanks, its nice being in the owners club :D

I didn't get the manual, but found it could be down loaded here but as Noely says not a lot in it, I found the Axminster manual for the Perform CCBB useful as thats a clone of the EB machine.

Trev, I will be getting some Dure Edge blades. I got 4 blades with the machine, 3 still in the box never been un-coiled, no name on them or the box but ones I have tried work well.

Chris, I used the epoxy to hold all of the bits together, the casting has spacers cast on it. I put 3 M6 screws to hold the angle to the main part of the casting, which should as strong or stronger than the original part.

Alf, could you shine that light a bit to the left, ta. :wink:

Well done Dave - that makes 5 of us. :D

Have to agree that the bandsaw is one of those most underated of tools. Every time I use mine (which is not often enough!) I end up thinking "I should really use this thing more often - it is so versatile".

Cheers,
Martin.

I hope it is OK to post this but I've got an EB BAS315 bandsaw that I don't use anymore. I haven't advertised it locally as I don't want just anyone wandering round my workshop but if anyone is interested you could PM me. I live near Shrewsbury by the way.

KeithS":i58cr3uw said:
I hope it is OK to post this
Charley has not had a problem with members offer their old stuff for sale in the past. :)

KeithS":i58cr3uw said:
I've got an EB BAS315 bandsaw that I don't use anymore. ........... if anyone is interested you could PM me.

Well its a bit late for me :shock: I hope someone reading my recommendation will take up the offer. 8)

Hi Dave,

That makes 6 of us.

I've had my 315 for a few years now and i don't know what i would do without it. Mind you when i first got it i thought that it was a load of junk. Then i was advised to bin the 5 free blades that came with it and get a few decent ones (again Dune Edge) and i haven't looked back since. Martin is right it is one of the most underrated tools out.

Well done for sorting the problems out.

Regards

Mike

Bet you wouldn't change living in the countryside, though, Keith? I wouldn't. :wink:

Get lots of power cuts around here. Best Christmas Day evening we've known was a couple of years ago - off goes the power at 6pm. So, threw a couple more logs on the fire, lit a couple of oil lamps and a few candles, poured some more single malt (extra large, 'cos couldn't see too well what I was doing) into a decent rummer and relaxed and talked - marvellous.

Cheers,

Trev.

Its not just the sticks Trev, I live only a few miles outside of two large towns and we lose power every heavy downpour.
I'm glad I use hand tools more than power tools.
Bean

Back