A new table saw please sir?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx2man

Established Member
Reaction score
hi All,
Firstly, let me say how pleased i am to have found this site! :D
Now, my dilemma is this......
I am about to splurge out on a new table saw :twisted: I have about £800-£900 to spend, and my specs are; cast iron table, sliding carriage,
build quality, stack dado ability,GOOD fence and i've only got enough room for a saw approx. 2.4m overall width.
I've e-spoken to Norman King about the Record tspp250 but i'm also
considering the sheppach and the fox in the same class. (i know the fox is
the same more or less)
If anyone has any comments/suggestions about these or any other makes, they would be truly,truly scrumptious........er... welcome.

Hi Tx2man - welcome aboard
This thread might be helpful.
Stacked dado ability may prove to be a problem on a new machine as they are built not to accept them since they became illegal in this country.
I have got around this on my Kity 1619 using DeWalt's housing cutters. Big £££s though!
Good saw BTW, but not cast iron.

welcome tx2man,

you could try woodfords unisaw clone, it is cast iron and capable at present of taking the stacked dado head and within your price bracket

regards
Ian

Does anyone know the law with regard to stacked dado's

I thought that they were illegal and thus a machine could not be CE marked if it could accept one.
No CE mark = not legal for sale in UK.

I tried to buy a Delta jointer a while back but couldnt' as Delta in UK could not import it due to lack of CE mark caused by the ability to fit a rebating attachment of some sort which is also illegal over here.

What's the real story?

Tony":3facx744 said:
Does anyone know the law with regard to stacked dado's

I thought that they were illegal and thus a machine could not be CE marked if it could accept one.
No CE mark = not legal for sale in UK.

I tried to buy a Delta jointer a while back but couldnt' as Delta in UK could not import it due to lack of CE mark caused by the ability to fit a rebating attachment of some sort which is also illegal over here.

What's the real story?

Tony,

Use that "search" facility and type "Dado" and read through all those previous threads. In short, it would appear it's not that dados are banned, just the length of available spindle is restricted. It's all to do with the guarding from what I can see. Felder have always offered a Dado as far as I know, as they have a guard method which is not fixed to the riving knife. Anyway, you can read previous threads and see for yourself!

Adam

Tony,

When i made my tenoning jig for the tablesaw i enquired to the relevant authorities and my reply was a 6 page document that was difficult to follow unless you are a laywer. It did cover everything but from memory on the stack dado setup it said
As long as the saw is designed to take and is able to protect the operater the saw can upto a max width of 15.5mm does allow the use of stacked dados.
The 15.5 is being challenged at present to increase it to 18.5mm but the challenge is being done in France. Not quite sure if that will cover us as well though

I couldnt find the actual docs they sent as i've changed computer but those were some of the words that surprised me

David Free also has a word on them in his GBW site under health and safety.

It is also my understanding that the brake rule (ie blade must stop within a given time) is to be slightly relaxed as it seems to harm the motor's bearings and manufacturers have sent in docs to CE bodies but it'll probobly take a long time for that to come through i would think

Ian

David Free also has a word on them in his GBW site under health and safety.

as I recall, David's page said pretty much the exact same thing; provided the machine was designed to handle a dado, the max size permissable was 15.5mm. Currnetly, arbour lengths are restricted to allow machine braking to comply with the 10 sec rule.

NMA agencies are advertising a slot cutter £260 for £99 this month with a new 2500ci scheppach saw . 0 1484 400488

tx2man":21eorpdl said:
hi All, I've e-spoken to Norman King about the Record tspp250 but i'm also considering the sheppach and the fox in the same class. (i know the fox is the same more or less)
quote]
I also have the Record TSpp250 that Norman has. And can recommend it, it is the same as the Fox but you get an extra ext table and 5 year warrenty with Record, I have seen the Fox as low as £695 + del.
For £800 all in the Record takes some beating

It is also my understanding that the brake rule (ie blade must stop within a given time) is to be slightly relaxed as it seems to harm the motor's bearings and manufacturers have sent in docs to CE bodies but it'll probobly take a long time for that to come through i would think

I find that argument very thin and shallow! The manufacturers should strenghten the bearing housings and the bearing themselves, even put out-riggers on the arbour if necessary.

But it would cost them money to do so!

thanks to all,
especially Ian for the link to woodford's. :D
Has there been any test reviews done on the X-calibur range?
btw most of these saws accept an 8''x 13/16th dado :shock:
cheers tx2man

TX
Good Woodwworking reviewed the 12 inch Xcaliber saw a little while back (sorry, cant remember the issue no. :( ) Got a good review though!
Incidently, I have a 10 inch Xcaliber on order at the moment-Woodford are waiting for delivery of some more. Man at Woodford said they're going like hotcakes!
regards
Philly :D

thanks Alf :D
how do i contact Somerton?

who and what is................. :twisted: SOMERTON :twisted: ?

CHEERS TX

TX,

Somerton seems to be some mythical temple (possibly of Myth and Legend infact) connected in some unknown way with Good Woodworking. If the right burnt offerings are made unto them (monetary ones for prefference; apparently the goat wasn't popular...), they will give forth bounty in the form of back issues. Beware though, if you should get you incantations in a twist they'll claim they don't have the one you want. :cry: In short, here you go. :D

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Alf,Neil,
:oops: i subscribe to GWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I must be reading it with my eyes closed :shock:
It's the same when i'm following a plan!

cheers TX

Newbie_Neil":r0j67zyk said:
Or you could try here: -

Good Woodworking Back Issues
Future Publishing
Freepost
SOMERTON
Somerset
TA11 6BR

Cheers
Neil
Aww Neil, I was working up a whole scenario there. :roll: :( I will refrain from comment about reading GWW with your eyes closed, TX. :? (Hint - you could save yourself the price of the sub and just close your eyes when reading something else and just pretend it's GWW... :lol: )

Cheers, Alf

Back