A new one on me

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomatwark

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just come back form looking at a job were the customer has put a Glade plug in air freshener on her Oak table.

I has dissolved the finish and left a lovely impression of the bottom of the air freshener.

This is a modern table with a lacquer finish and while I know that it is possible to damage lacquer with heat and water as well as certain solvents it makes me wonder what they are putting in these things.

The air freshener was only on the table for a couple of minutes.

It is going to mean stripping back and refinishing the whole top which is fine, but has anyone else run up against this and have you had any reaction problems with the new finish ?

The sort of thing you get when the customer has used Barry Sheen polish on their furniture.

I have resprayed lots of tops over the years but have never run up against this damage before.

Thanks

Tom

I hate these things. They are not "air fresheners" they are air polluters. It is interesting that in some countries pumping chemical "fragrances" into the air in public places is actually illegal. This seems to me entirely sensible. Why would anyone want to breathe air which has been contaminated by who knows what chemicals at someone else's whim. Bear in mind that the someone else has been persuaded to spend his company's money on this to create large profits for some chemical company, when the money would have been better spent on eliminating at source the obnoxious smells the chemical is intended to mask. The same princple can be operated domestically i.e. open a window.

I'll get down off my soapbox now.

Jim

Latest posts

Back