A new mill needed!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munty Scruntfundle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.

For a couple of years now I've been using a Sieg variant SX4 mill, it's been ok, apart from not being square, nothing is flat and it's impossible to take cuts without the table wobbling around. So, not brilliant!

I've got to the point now where I'm chasing better accuracy and repeatability, I've done my learning on the pap and it's time to get something better. But there is a kicker. If you haven't seen me moan about it before I'm sat in a wheelchair, I can't stand. It's not really that bad but it does mean reaching full sized person tools can be a bit of an issue. The SX4 is mounted on a movable base about 16 inches tall so I can get to everything on the mill.

Apart from rigging some kind of wheelchair hammock, or sinking the mill into the floor, (sadly neither are an option) using a full size mill just can't happen. So I need something around the size of the SX4 that's actually rigid and properly prepared. And no, raised platforms are most definitely not a way around the problem, that has injury written all over it.

There are a couple of other options, buy another of the same and hope it's been finished off better than the last, or find someone to strip it and get it right, I've looked around and sadly it's too small for the big companies and too big for a Fred in the shed.

I know I've asked similar questions before, so if you already don't know a machine to suit, don't worry.

Any and all ideas welcome.

Many thanks.

I’ve been pleased with my Warco WM18B mill. The head was even trammed in almost perfectly “out of the box”. I have it on the Warco base. It may be a little heavy to go on a bench, but not beyond the wit of man to build something suitable. They have a showroom and it’s open, so you can make sure it does what you need.

I think with many of the home workshop type mills reaching the head raise and lower wheel could be the main problem. Most of these a cabinet can be brought separate so no need for that but instead a home built base would be ideal to make it whatever height that suits your needs. I have the Warco wm18 mill and so far is handling everything I throw at it.
If there is some way of motorizing the head up and down that would also help. I get back ache and quite often sit on a stool when operating the mill but then I can stand to alter some of the settings when needed

Agreed, that’s the wheel that might be a problem. FYI Ade of Ade’s workshop did a build video for a motorised z axis control on his WM16. There’s also a UK company that does a full CNC conversion based on the WM18, so no doubt could be persuaded to fit a motorised z. Google is your friend.

Mr scruntfudle
I was very lucky to find this mill....it is a Myford VNF or VMF.....
one of the last bought in from Taiwhan to sell as Myford.....
u will see it's on a box stand but def removeable for floor mounting.....
Mines 3 phase but thats no problem these days.....prob 240v as well.....
they do come up now and again....
I can def tell u its a brill machine to use, totaly accurate and worthy of the MYFORD badge it carries....
all tooling is R8 and plenty of used stuff around.....
I do have a full size Bridgeport and honestley it's as good as that but about 1/2 size....
It is def not a toy machine....comes with a powered cross slide as standard....
Now there was a model which this superseeded but I dont know the number or in fact that much about it but seem to remember it was made for years....
any further help pls just PM me....
IMG_1191.JPG

Mr scruntfudle
I was very lucky to find this mill....it is a Myford VNF or VMF.....
one of the last bought in from Taiwhan to sell as Myford.....
u will see it's on a box stand but def removeable for floor mounting.....
Mines 3 phase but thats no problem these days.....prob 240v as well.....
they do come up now and again....
I can def tell u its a brill machine to use, totaly accurate and worthy of the MYFORD badge it carries....
all tooling is R8 and plenty of used stuff around.....
I do have a full size Bridgeport and honestley it's as good as that but about 1/2 size....
It is def not a toy machine....comes with a powered cross slide as standard....
Now there was a model which this superseeded but I dont know the number or in fact that much about it but seem to remember it was made for years....
any further help pls just PM me....
View attachment 138587
Now that's a nice bit of gear.
I used to have a Bridgeport, but sold it years ago.
When I was looking for a replacement, I wanted something smaller than a Bridgeport.
I would have gone for this if it was available in Aus.
But I did find a mint condition Schaublin 13 with Sony 3 axis DRO, compound table, vertical head, high speed quill head etc.
A bit different to use than a Bridgeport, but getting used to it.
Do you still have it ?
Even though I could not justify it, I would be so tempted to have a second.

Hi folks.

For a couple of years now I've been using a Sieg variant SX4 mill, it's been ok, apart from not being square, nothing is flat and it's impossible to take cuts without the table wobbling around. So, not brilliant!

I've got to the point now where I'm chasing better accuracy and repeatability, I've done my learning on the pap and it's time to get something better. But there is a kicker. If you haven't seen me moan about it before I'm sat in a wheelchair, I can't stand. It's not really that bad but it does mean reaching full sized person tools can be a bit of an issue. The SX4 is mounted on a movable base about 16 inches tall so I can get to everything on the mill.

Apart from rigging some kind of wheelchair hammock, or sinking the mill into the floor, (sadly neither are an option) using a full size mill just can't happen. So I need something around the size of the SX4 that's actually rigid and properly prepared. And no, raised platforms are most definitely not a way around the problem, that has injury written all over it.

There are a couple of other options, buy another of the same and hope it's been finished off better than the last, or find someone to strip it and get it right, I've looked around and sadly it's too small for the big companies and too big for a Fred in the shed.

I know I've asked similar questions before, so if you already don't know a machine to suit, don't worry.

Any and all ideas welcome.

Many thanks.
I have an Amadeal 25, very similar machine. Mine also arrived assembled but not really set up properly. I have to say all issues were resolved with an hour or so of fettling the adjustments. The only thing I found you couldn't get rid of was a bit of backlash in the X and Y feed screws, but that is down to the type of screws used and isnt really an issue with a dro. Very surprised you can't eliminate table movement by adjusting the gibs. I have fitted a power drive unit to the table as well, not the ones they sell specifically for it as I found they had a minimum feed rate of something like 80mm/min. I have modified one of the units designed for a Bridgeport or similar. Gives variable speed down to 10mm/min. So with mine you would have been very disappointed if you tried to use it straight out of the crate, but after a good going over and setting up correctly it's actually pretty good.

Back