• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

A new forum for a timeless subject

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks to one of momma Nature’s none too subtle “head’s up” messages this weekend, I’ve found myself in a position where for the next few months, my woodworking will be confined to the arm-chair; my doc’s barred me from the shop till further notice. So.. having spent Sunday night / Monday morning reading one of the most awesome woodworking books I’ve ever found, a thought struck me… On a few occasions, the subject of good books has arisen in a thread here and there. I’ve personally found that books have been at the forefront of my woodworking development, way more-so than magazines or the (increasingly rare) woodworking program on TV.
What I’d like to propose is the creation of a new section specifically FOR books, where members can discuss the good, the bad, the simply MUST haves’ etc.
Anyone else agree with this??
While I’m on the subject, can anyone recommend any pre-war cabinet-making books worth looking for; this last one I read was in its’ 4th edition in 1924, and yet the information it conveys is still as cutting edge today as it was back then. It was refreshing to read something written from an age when there WERE no hand held power tools to reach for; to get anything done properly ya did it handraulically…

As for that mamma Nature lesson.. keep yer blades sharp guys… the job’s not the only thing at risk when you’re using them… the consequences aren’t worth it, take my word for it…

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Mike, sorry to hear about your troubles (even though I'm not precisely sure what they are, but it sounds bad... ). Hope you recover swiftly 'cos it'd be a shame to see that scrub languish. :(

Midnight":879wglzk said:
While I’m on the subject, can anyone recommend any pre-war cabinet-making books worth looking for
The Practical Woodworker and/or The Complete Woodworker edited by Bernard E. Jones and The Handyman's Book by Paul N. Hasluck spring to mind. They've all been reprinted, so they shouldn't be hard to get hold of. George Ellis' books on joinery and staircases (iirc) are supposed to be very good too. Worth looking on Bookfinder for older Woodworker annuals as well.

Not sure about a dedicated section for book talk, but feel free to do so in the General Woodworking board and it may take off sufficiently to justify one in the future. I'm always up for a good natter about books for a start. :D What was the 1924 4th edition one?

Cheers, Alf

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
Alf wrote
I'm always up for a good natter about books for a start.
I was kinda hoping this'd catch a self 'fessed collector's eye :wink:

it's Modern Cabinet Work Furnature & Fitments by Wells and Hooper... I've quoted from it in the scrub plane thread. Absolute mine of priceless info... the thing that gob-smacked me was the first time I was leafing through it, I stumbled across line drawings and sections of the bookcase / secretary I fancy building from the bookmatched sycamore boards, c/w optional arrangements for the outfitting ot the inside of the secretary.. It goes into detail about essential tools (all of em handraulic), stock prep, joints, evolution of styles of furnature from jacobean to "present day" which I figure is just before the start of art deco. It's not confined to the making of cabinets either; some of the plates covering the building of paneled rooms are breathtaking.

I couldn't afford to get too excited about some of the contents of the book after my bookmarker triggered the silent alarm on my heart monitor (see the L-N gloat in Adam's shop pics for details).

Thanks for the well wishes btw... I'm fine really, though my doc thinks I'm nuts... I got glared at when I suggested my restrained use of planes as a work out... I figured I was on safe ground there..it was a blunt saw that caused my prob....
<shrugs.>....go figure....

trevtheturner

Established Member
Reaction score
If 'book talk' does take off in General Woodworking - how about putting it in in place of Tool Polls, which has only dealt with bandsaws and routers, and seems to have died a natural, as people still post asking for advice on possible/intended new kit. And always get good and useful advice in response.

Trev.

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
nice link btw Alf.....(like that's a surprise) managed to find what looks to be a wee gem... ;)

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
All the best for a swift recovery, if you are out of action for a while, I'm quite happy to post some old "Charles Hayward" books i have, provided you send them back, they are quite old, but as you say, just as relevent. Provided you post them back within a month or two, I'd happily lend them to you.

Adam

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Mike,

Yeah, I read the scrub thread after I posted here. D'oh. :roll: It's not a title I know, but it sounds a good'un and I see there are a few on Bookfinder... BTW, there's also the Galoot Book List although it's still a bit of a work in progress at the moment.

Cheers, Alf

A

Anonymous

Well, there's a coincidence - after just receiving a big bundle of books from Amazon, all on the woodworking subject, I was thinking the same thing; I'm also a member of a book-reading forum, but don't think they'd appreciate a load of chat about woodworking books.

Must admit the books I now have are probably ones that are on every serious ww's shelves - Tage Frid, James Krenov, DC, Scott Landiss and so on. Nothing particularly exotic

sawdustalley

Established Member
Reaction score
Although its a good idea. I think we've already talked about there being enough forums.

You could go on forever really, and at the end of the day - its much easier to read the posts in one central forum than having to move around. I find I just never look in anything apart from the top 3.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Mike,
Sorry to hear of your ills-hope you get back on your feet soon.
As to books-yup, a book review area would be nice. Some books are required reading, after all.
regards,
Philly :D

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
First up...thanks again for the well wishes.. Apparently I'd a small heart attack that's caused an upset in the valve firing order... My suggestion of a simple timing belt change was met with another glare.. seems doc's don't go for warped sense of humour jokes.. As I said earlier, I just need to take things easy for a while, let the meds do their thing and see where the test results lead. I doubt they'll need to take the cylinder head off to fix it, but we'll see....

Now... the important stuff.... I'll kick a fresh thread off in the General list...and see where it runs....

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Mike,

As a forum member I'd reckon the proposal of a book section would have merit. I've a reasonable collection of books myself and personal recomendation is way better than the usual and sometimes dubious reviews from the likes of Amazon etc.
Although I'd not be in favour of an additional forum I think Trevor's point that the Tool Poll forum is somewhat redundant may be valid.

Rgds

Noel

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
Noely... I hear what you're saying. I figured the idea had some merrit, so I tossed the suggestion in here to see how others thought...
Nothing ventured, nothing gained....yea..??

Shadowfax

Established Member
Reaction score
Midnight
Blunt saw - Heart attack! You are really going for it, aren't you? Best wishes for a speedy recovery and I like your idea for a book section.
Don't overdo it while you are supposed to be keeping out of the workshop.
Temptation is always lurking!
Regards and get well as soon as.......

SF

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
SF
yea....well.. I learned a long time ago that no matter what colour my hair is.. born a blonde, always a blonde...
:wink:
Doc gave clearence go get back in the shop this week with an eye to gettin back to work part time starting next week. After 4 weeks of havin my ass set roots and hands goin soft, I was more than willing to start making a mess again; I knew I missed it, just didn't fully realise how important it was to me till I wasn't allowed to do it..

I tossed a book thread into general chat, but it died soon after... I guess people don't read as much as I'd thought...

Charley

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm hope you recover quickly and get back into the workshop soon.

It's it is okay with everyone for now I think its best if you post it in general woodworking and if it becomes a popular discussion I'll make a section for it and take down tool polls.

A

Anonymous

Mike

I somehow missed this thread back in July - glad to hear you can play a little again. Upon receiving my ban I too didn't realise how much I would miss my workshop - getting back in there seems to be on my mind most of every day :cry:

I like the book idea, I do read an awful lot but mostly instrumentation, electronics, control, engineering and fiction. I need guidance on decent woodworking fodder.

Good luck with the recuperation

tx2man

Established Member
Reaction score
Mike,
As a WW newbie, i would be very interested in a book forum.
I've got the standard books ie. table saw,band saw,router, outdoor projects etc., but would love to know what i should be reading as it were!
I've just bought ''make your own handcrafted doors and windows''(John Birchard),(cost a packet!!!!), for my new front door and side panels project,although i haven't received it yet. Do you know it?

cheers TX