A new chuck!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munty Scruntfundle

Established Member
Reaction score
If you folks had to chose just one multi jaw chuck to use, -no cheating-, which would you chose and why?

I'm just starting out, the lathe I bought has an included chuck, but it's a bit notchy. I'm sure it's fine but can't help thinking something a bit more up market would be nice.

Thanks folks.

It would depend on the lathe it has to fit onto as some of them are just not suitable for smaller lathes. I own a small and a larger lathe. the chuck I favour for the large lathe is my Versa chuck as I can buy jaw carriers for a variety of manufacturers jaws. My smaller lathe will just be happy with my Robert Sorby chucks which I also use on the larger one. Also another factor I would take into consideration is will I need to upgrade any of the lathes in the future and will the chucks be compatible for the upgrade.
So as you can see selecting a single chuck would not be easy as it depends on different factors which may suit me but not another turner.
Having said all that the versa chuck is my main go to chuck for quick jaw set change overs

That would work":icj66rr8 said:
Record for me. Plenty of jaw options and good value too.
+1 for Record. I like Axminster chucks, so have a few of their accessories. But, if I was starting again, then I would buy one of their lathes (have two) but would look elsewhere for a chuck (and jaw system). The Record SC4 has the attraction of using an insert, so building a family of jaws around this and then switching lathes (new thread etc.) and it's only the (low cost) insert to change. If Record made O'Donnell style jaws then they would have it made (my reason for Axminster jaws and chucks).

Simon_M":mukla3ec said:
That would work":mukla3ec said:
Record for me. Plenty of jaw options and good value too.
+1 for Record. I like Axminster chucks, so have a few of their accessories. But, if I was starting again, then I would buy one of their lathes (have two) but would look elsewhere for a chuck (and jaw system). The Record SC4 has the attraction of using an insert, so building a family of jaws around this and then switching lathes (new thread etc.) and it's only the (low cost) insert to change. If Record made O'Donnell style jaws then they would have it made (my reason for Axminster jaws and chucks).
All well and good going for chucks with inserts but if a new lathe is brought many of those will not have inserts for the fast becoming common thread of 33 x 3.5mm. There are one or two which will allow for that the Versa chuck I mentioned before being on where a new backplate rather than inserts can be purchased

woodbloke66":2bxzm3hk said:
This one for all the reasons given and 43 unbiased and uncensored reviews - Rob
Agree - I also have a smaller RP one, nothing like as nicely made/ nice to use (tho it was much cheaper...).

phil.p":3pi9vs1u said:
Undoubtedly a very nice chuck - but twice the price of the Versachuck, without a changeable backplate and limiting you to Axi jaws.
Agreed, but worth it as I only use Ax turning gear and it was bought at the same time as my VS1628 so the total package was within budget - Rob

As the owner of an Axminster Clubman chuck, a Record SC3, a Record SC4 an Axminster Evolution SK114 the one I use the most is the Record SC4. Note: I call it a Record SC4 but it's probably an RP4000 or one of the clones.
Edit: Axminster Goliath not Evolution

Axminster improved things by going with a square key on the Evolution rather than the splined key on their earlier chucks but it's still not as good as the hex key of the Record SC4. Axminster also uses a length of rolled metal (not even a roll pin) with foam sleeves as a handle for the Clubman chuck key which is at least 50mm too short so that it's difficult to get enough leverage. Cheap & shoddy & it shows.

The SC3, although 95mm diameter, has a hollow body & thus is much lighter weight. The splined key has to pass through a hole in the outer wall and the nose find a centre hole before the teeth engage on the pinion which, when engaged, is rigid but the alignment needs to be spot on.

Summary of available woodturning chucks
- https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/wood ... 76139.html

Back