A new Bristol Design of rounder?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I was in a very nice local old tool shop today, and was shown a design of rounder that I had not seen before. I'm talking about the simple "rotary plane" with which you can transform a roughish stick into a nice smooth chair leg, rake handle, etc. The common pattern looks like this:

20140813_114029_zpsru5cjx9e.jpg

One disadvantage, if you want to make your own, is that you need a suitable iron that can be clamped down nicely. This one has a specially slotted iron, but home made ones commonly use the iron from a metal spoke shave, which is about the right size to fit in the block.

The shop had just acquired a selection of rounders in various sizes where the wood block was much longer and the iron was a full size plane iron:

20140813_113922_zpsdky0loxu.jpg

Here's a side view

20140813_113943_zps8gmaitat.jpg

On this one, you can see that the maker cut the bed for the iron wrong and needed to adjust it so that the edge is tangential to the work - he simply added a wedge.

20140813_114005_zps75jqp8ot.jpg

20140813_114016_zpsloyoe9fi.jpg

Now, what had occurred to the guy in the shop may well have occurred to anyone reading this who is wondering where to find (a) a nice chunky old plane iron and (b) a thick piece of well-seasoned beech wood. His guess is - and I think he's right - is that these have been cleverly made out of old jack planes!

A new purpose is found, which is much less offensive than turning them into coat hooks or desk lamps or whatever the eBay "upcyclers" are messing about at this week. So, please, don't go destroying good old tools, but for the sad basket cases that have been abused too much to be used as planes, I think this is rather a clever idea!

Andy,

Very interesting. I haven't seen one of those before, it's certainly a better way to treat an old tool than just chucking it, or as you say making it in to, God forbid, a "coat hook".
Jamey

I was looking for something else in the handy copy of the 1816 edition of the "Sheffield List" (aka Smith's Key) that the French National Library have kindly put on line for us, when I noticed this image of the old style of "Wheeler's Rounder"

rounder.JPG

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8529037p

It's clearly a well entrenched design! And all those years, makers just copied it, until someone had a new idea.

Attachments

• rounder.JPG
    rounder.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 1,477
Back