a new bench stop for me

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Printed out the following idea of mine for next woodworking season and leaving in my workshop(around 4 months from now :) )

Cut a piece of my 3mm thick black plastic/aluminium, counter sink some screw holes, and this can be screwed to my bench top when required to act as bench stop for hand planing my thin battens, like box tops etc.

Would you screw them into the top of this?

P10902371.JPG

No, because that is like a piece of furniture, I would need another bench to work with.

(I cant use dogs on my bench because I have drawers beneath top)

Lovely workbench Wizer. I wouldn't screw a bench stop to my dining room table but I would to my workbench. I must admit that my bench is not as pretty as yours though. :D

wizer":5rvv93mj said:
Would you screw them into the top of this?

P10902371.JPG

In this instance I think when required I would clamp the thin bench stop board across the complete width with clamps both sides.

BTW I went into the workshop this morning and gave every machine a spin to clean off any electric contact points.

I do a similar thing when planing thin stuff, but I have a piece of aluminium flat bar which is screwed to the tops of two pieces of 3/4" aluminium rod (with the screw holes well countersunk into the aluminium bar). I then push the rods into two of the dog holes across the bench (there are two parallel rows of holes).

Not my bench sadly. This is a Roubo bench, as featured in Chris Shwarz Workbench book.

This is my workbench

DSC_0011.JPG

And whilst the top is softwood and MDF, I wouldn't screw anything into it.

Devonwoody

That is one beautiful bench - has it really been used for woodworking?

What are the hook on the left and the handle on the right leg for?

Richard

thomvic":3g3vntih said:
Devonwoody

That is one beautiful bench - has it really been used for woodworking?

What are the hook on the left and the handle on the right leg for?

Richard

Have a word with wizer, he put that picture up, and I thought it was his :)

thomvic, not wizer but I can offer this: the 'hook' is used as a stop when edge joining long boards & the metallic piece in the leg is a bench dog. One of its many uses is to hold the long board when edge joining. It will also be used to hold pieces to the top of the bench. A good wack on the top sets it and another wack on the side frees it up!

Thank you, DW. I enjoy reading this board very much. I live in an area of Colorado Springs that has very mild winters.....mild compared to Denver or the mountains, that is :wink:

1"-3" snow is forecast for tonight and if it comes it will likely be gone in a day or two. I was born & raised in Wisconsin and shoveling snow was just a normal part of life. I have shoveled snow once, maybe twice, in the 25 years I've lived in Colorado. Does it snow where you are?

Myself I live in what is considered a mild area of the uk, but we are 400ft up and if we do get any snow I have had to leave the car down at the seafront and walk home in the past a couple of times in the last 38 years.

Back in 1963 we had snow in Devon that lasted for 4 months and was 6ft deep, that would have been a while waiting to get the car back.

visited CS in 1981 but my favorites areas of Col. were the RMNP, Grand Lake, and the road north of Durango through Ouray.

Sadly we have now made our last visits to the USA because of age and health reasons.

We had a Ford Mustang for 4 weeks on one occasion and did 11k miles, the hire company were a bit miffed. It only had 900 miles on the clock when we took it out of the yard.

I'd drill into any of the benches shown. I built one about 20 years ago and have it still. Hand cut dovetails etc, but at the end of the day it is a work bench. An aid to getting the job done. At one time i built a long wooden bed for a delta lathe to turn shaker chair legs and screwed it to it. You can always re-drill a bigger hole and inert a dowel and sand it back.

Thats just me though.

I don't drill holes in my bench unless it is for a greater purpose like an often used jig or fence. They I insert a thread for bolting down.

For planing I generally clamp a board at one end of t.he bench

Latest posts

Back