A mystery engineering tool ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Another mystery tool, from my fathers tools this time, part of an Inclinometer maybe.
The bar slides, can pivot along the axis and be fixed by tightening the large wheel. The small wheel increases the incline of the bar by small amount - not a lot of clearance.
FA84A86B-02B0-46A9-912B-9534BBCD375E.jpeg
34192F8E-F286-492C-A392-499EF802F49E.jpeg

Last edited:
lol Scribing perhaps more accurate
A few parts missing. Once upon a time it would be an apprentice exercise
Thanks Myfordman, look# like the bit that’s missing is critical, I’ll have a hunt through tool chest draws, but I don’t recall seeing this part.

Looks like it has a fine adjustment on it. The knob on the end and the spring

here is my one, from 1893, still used most days.( I didn't make it!)

height gauge.JPG

Another mystery tool, from my fathers tools this time, part of an Inclinometer maybe.
The bar slides, can pivot along the axis and be fixed by tightening the large wheel. The small wheel increases the incline of the bar by small amount - not a lot of clearance.
View attachment 118592View attachment 118593

Scribing block. Had to make one during toolmaking apprenticeship back in those distant days of 1968.

I have the slightly more ornate one my son-in-law made during his degree in electrical engineering. We both gained when he became an accountant instead. So he was able to retire at 52, and I got his engineering tools.

Back