A mysteriuous axe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squern

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this is?

It's obviously an axe of some sort, but do you know what it was specifiucally made for?

It's made by Marples, and is double-edged.

Attachments

• Mysterious axe little.jpg
    Mysterious axe little.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 183
  • Mysterious axe little.jpg
    Mysterious axe little.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 183
I think Andy's right - brick cleaning or stone facing.

Here's one I bought at the carboot this year.

Axehead.jpg

Much older than yours I think, it has laminated steel edges.

Can anyone tell me what this is?

It's obviously an axe of some sort, but do you know what it was specifiucally made for?

It's made by Marples, and is double-edged.
Marples 1959 catalogue page 97 #4222...
'brick cleaning axe, double edge, strong ash handle weight 1 3/4lbs'
I have one in the workshop that comes in very handy for any job requiring a bit of trimming with a sharp edge . ... the one thing I have never used it for is brick cleaning ;<)
Dave

Original poster last seen in 2011 and thread died in 2011 don't know why people keep resurrecting dead threads

Original poster last seen in 2011 and thread died in 2011 don't know why people keep resurrecting dead threads

Because people stumble across them and impart information otherwise not included originally.
If someone had more information regarding my old planemakers planes thread I'd also be welcoming their input.
I wouldn't worry too much about it Rob, personally I love it as a timely reminder of just how supportive this community was and is.
What's more, it was nice to once again be reacquainted with one the late Richard Tomes's posts.
A wonderful person taken too soon.
Regards, Andy

Possibly something to do with the "Similar Threads Feature", though I note that the oldest one at the bottom of this page is 2022.

Thanks Andy for those words - I am pretty new here and thought I'd committed some cardinal sin. I came to the thread looking for further info on brick axes [Brades make as it happens] and this thread popped up in the google search. I realised it was an old thread, but added the information I had found about the Marples tool in the hope that it might be interesting/useful to someone else.
Cheers ... Dave

... and I'll have to brush up on the review/edit procedure too ;<)

Marples 1959 catalogue page 97 #4222...
'brick cleaning axe, double edge, strong ash handle weight 1 3/4lbs'
I have one in the workshop that comes in very handy for any job requiring a bit of trimming with a sharp edge . ... the one thing I have never used it for is brick cleaning ;<)
Dave
Thank you.
Despite the age of the original posts your input was both relevant & helpful.

perhaps the mods should routinely seal threads more than a year old (ie no new post for a year), they could still be viewable as archive, and linked to for reference

Back