A more active Rutlands

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droogs

Not the Sharpest Moderator in the box
Reaction score
I don't know if it's just me or not.
I am subscribed to get Rutland's ad posts email things and over the last I would say, 6 months apart from the visual revamp, the contents of the emails seem to be far more targeted . What I mean is that they seem to be introducing a lot of new items and to me it seems that these new products are basically the things that people have been talking about either in the various fora or have been reviewing on the tube of you. Especially a lot of the tools reviewed by people like Dennis from Hooked on Wood, so in essence tools available on Banggood.

Has anyone else notice this? Do you think they now have an active member of staff actually researching what things we might actually be wanting and looking at and then just get a container of them from the same manufacturer as Banggood to sell here direct? I know that the last half dozen are definitely Banggood items, though they have just emailed today with a set of inset guides tht fit MOF700 type palm routers as well as larger 1/2" ones. So my Katsii are getting some new friends for my birthday thisweek.

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+premium-router-guide-bush-set-metric+R5061

The wonders of the likes of google and the cookies most of us accept, no need for a human to see what we might be interested in, technology does it all. Companies can then buy this data/service and target specific groups

I'm asking not so much about if it's a person or machine but if it seems that Rutlands are being more pro/reactive in meeting our needs and possibly improving it's generally poor reputation for quality and service.

I'm asking not so much about if it's a person or machine but if it seems that Rutlands are being more pro/reactive in meeting our needs and possibly improving it's generally poor reputation for quality and service.

How would this improve their reputation? ...from what you've mentioned, it's just marketing/research, which is what they would always have been doing?

They're a shady company, end of, as far as I am concerned.

Well they seem to be offering better made stuff for a start

in regard to their own brand stuff. Usually it's been a knock of of something else but now seems to be the actual item from Banggod

in regard to their own brand stuff. Usually it's been a knock of of something else but now seems to be the actual item from Banggod

As with most rebranding, it's made to a price point. So although it looks the same, doesn't mean they haven't specified corners to be cut to save pennys.

It's like with rebranded machines. People often claim its the same product from the same factory, so get it for the cheapest price you can. It probably is the same factory, but the internals are often different. The biggest cost cutting measure seems to be quality assurance.

Especially a lot of the tools reviewed by people like Dennis from Hooked on Wood, so in essence tools available on Banggood.

I can’t speak for the back office/purchasing/rebranding etc...but I’m 100% with you on the latest products - the show reel on the homepage is almost a mirror of Dennis’ China Tools series.

The apparent offer of a Lifetime Warranty may go some way to help with quality concerns...that, or they have managed to get such a great volume discount that there’s already plenty of scope in the resale price to allow for a percentage of free replacements (similar to Screwfix’s own brand tools sales model)

Richy.

As I understand it, banggod is merely a chinese enabling firm that buys whatever you ask for, from chinese manufacturers and sends it on to you, How is that better than chinese stuff sold by an english company? Other than a cheaper price of course.

As I understand it, banggod is merely a chinese enabling firm that buys whatever you ask for, from chinese manufacturers and sends it on to you, How is that better than chinese stuff sold by an english company? Other than a cheaper price of course.
Sunnybob's correct. Their main model is dropshipping. Anyone could set-up a similar operation.
In reply to the Op, yes it's targeted - as any commerce company does, they've just upped their game. That said, I've not been disappointed with any purchase from Rutlands and their customer service, although archaic, has always been good.

About 6-12 months ago Rutlands had a massive clearance to make way for new products.

This is what you are seeing, yes they appear to have gone to various Banggood vendors (BG is just a marketplace platform) and asked them to make Rutlands branded versions of their products.

On one hand this is good because it means you can obtain BG products via a UK seller and don't have to wait for long shipping, however they are not especially cheap as far as I can see, in fact sometimes seem to be more expensive than direct from BG vendors.

Also Rutlands seem to have this sales wheeze going on with their offers where they make things seem cheap by getting you to buy more as they do these odd multi buys. But it is often weird products to have multi buys of, like why would I need two sets of squares? Actually great if you have some friends who you can split the cost with.. otherwise a bit pointless.

What I would say is, Rutlands marketing and branding is spot on, their product photos are excellent. After one semi expensive purchase I was left a bit disappointed at the quality which looked far far better in the photos. I wouldn't say they are a bad vendor, just pick carefully..

It amazes me that people can use the Rutlands website and not clearly see how fishy they are. Does everyone seem to miss the fact that 95% of products have a 5 star review???

It amazes me that people can use the Rutlands website and not clearly see how fishy they are. Does everyone seem to miss the fact that 95% of products have a 5 star review???
Presumably they will argue that they drop products that people review as poor, hence what is left is the good stuff. I have never bought from them as I read too many negative things about them.

I've bought from them a few times. On the occasion I had problem, it was dealt with quickly by their CS in my favour. The products I've purchased range from a dust extractor to carpenters pencils (I won't need any more of these for ages as it came in 6 packs of 10). No real complaints other than the F-Clamps bought on clearance required the handles to be modded with some rubberised tape on the as they were very slippery. I agree that the review ratings have no integrity, but the actual comments often indicate the real experience of the buyer.

I rarely take notice of reviews, ever since one was posted about a very nice hotel I go to often, where the guy claimed his wife had been assaulted y a member of staff but the hotel did nothing. He was obviously too busy writing reviews to notify the police.
And the number of 5 stars that I see followed by "I havent unpacked it yet but the box looks fabulous", kills any respect for the system.

I have some of the router guides in the OK original post. They cost £19.99 from ebay. Rutland price is£39.99 so a doubling of price I paid which I assume included a healthy profit. Bit of a top off.

Latest posts

Back