A Miracle has Happened!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Yes, a Miracle has occurred! I have finished another project :shock: And in record (for me!) time.
Take a look....
complete1.jpg

It is a Greene and Greene style side table in mahogany and ebony. Full photo history is available here!
http://www.philsville.co.uk/workinprogress.htm

I started the table on the 30th of June (yes, this year :lol: ) and completed it yesterday. The Missus is well impressed.........
hope you all like it,
regards,
Philly :D
(who is thinking of changing his name to "Flash" :lol: )

Very nice. I am in envy of the time you have available to do your woodwork.
AndyP

Hey Flash!

That is a great table - I'm very impressed . Looks rather like the cover of the last FWW too! I love the top - nice figure and great finish.

It is a superb job Philly and I can well understand your missus loving it. It probably goes a long way to convince her of the merits of your recent tool buying spree aswell!

Andy P,
I built the table by spending a hour or two in the evenings and a couple of all dayers on the weekend. Would like to have had more time "in-a-row" to have got stuck in, but you gotta get it while you can!
Cheers

Oh deary me, Flash. You've really done it now haven't you? You do realise you'll now be expected to keep up this pace! :shock:

I must admit I'm not a big fan of Greene and Green stuff, but I admire your craftsmanship. :D Great finish too.

Cheers, Alf (shellac fan)

Hi Alf,
I'm stuck now between the box competition and sneaking another lil project in. I quite like the time limit thing for getting my backside into gear!
Now shellac is the easiest finish to apply isn't it? And it dries like that! You can even eat it (if you want) without side-effects. Well, maybe slightly shinier teeth :lol:
That Chris keeps pushing the bounderies with the box competition though-Maybe I should get stuck in with the box!
Cheers

Philly - lovely job! I'm well impressed. And so quick ...
How did you find working with mahogany? I've never used it myself.
Cheers
Gidon

Hi Gidon,
The mahogany I used was Brazilian, much nicer figure than Sapele, etc. The grain is pretty interlocked, so my Cliftons just tore-out all over the place. Luckily, my 60 degree Gordon smoother loved it and left a perfect finish. It is a real please to work, being hard but not maple hard, if you know what I mean? And when I put some oil on it, well it came alive! :shock:
So I recommend giving it a go, but be prepared for a lot of scraping if you haven't got a high angle plane. (or try grinding an iron at a higher angle maybe?)
best regards

Philly":2c3v4sgi said:
but be prepared for a lot of scraping if you haven't got a high angle plane. (or try grinding an iron at a higher angle maybe?
The latter suggestion for a bevel up plane, naturally... Bevel down, a back bevel is your friend.

Cheers, Alf

Stating the bleedin' obvious no doubt, but you can't be too careful. :wink:

Alf
Of course, bevel up. Not that I know much about regrinding bevel angles, not that adventurous meself :?
You had to mention that due to you being MegaMod or whatever..........
regards

MegaMod? Sounds like one of those Transformer-it's-a-plastic-robot-now-it's-a-plastic-truck jobbies. :lol: Possibly "The Evil MegaMod"... :wink:

Oh, and :p btw!

Cheers, Alf

Flash, that is one very impressive table. I really like the ebony, sets it off nicely.

Box now?

very very nice flash :D have you got a bit of mog and eb left over for a nice little box

Oi flash please dont post times on projects you'll get us all in deep doooo with SWMBO . Nice table BTW, now get back to work :lol:

Philly

Lovely job. I'm a big fan of the American arts and crafts style I think it's great to live with. Much of the commercially available stuff is just a weak imitation though.

Your work exhibits great design, great detailing and an excellent finish. The website pictures show fine craftsmanship as well. From the time it took you I suppose it was just one of those projects where everything came together (I have heard tales that such things sometimes happen)

Well Done

Roy

Roy,
You're too kind!
I love Arts and Craft style furniture (although it does'nt fit in with my home-still on the look out for that Gothic castle at the right price :lol: ). The Greene Brothers furniture is a style I've been dying to have a go at too.
For some reason I can make tables really quickly (as opposed to cabinets which go on for ever :lol: ). This one came along really well, so I'm either getting better or lucky (think I know which :lol: )
So I'm stuck in the "between projects" muddle at the moment-The Missus wants a chest of drawers, there's the box competition, a bench for the hallway, etc, etc........
best regards

Philly, very nice job: my congratulations !

By the way, I was really impressed by your technique for cutting to size (the 4th pic of your storyboard) ... WITH A WASHING MACHINE !!!!!!!!

BRAVISSIMO !!!!

Latest posts

Back