A Mini Cockpit Desk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Nibbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes a Mini Cockpit Desk!!! what is that you ask? :) well one of my other hobbies is Flight Simming here is a pic of my present set up.

You can click on the pics for a better image.
pic-2.jpg

Here is what I've started building
1.jpg

I might continue adding the progress here but just in case here is a link to my blog where you can follow the build http://lordnibbo.wordpress.com/category ... kpit-desk/

Oh! nearly forgot to say "Hello" It's just over a year since I last posted :)

Are you simulating airbus with that setup, by the layout you prefer the right seat as opposed to captains. Be cheaper to get your ppl by the time your done with all that kit :D

i have noticed some thing the screens on your current setup are dell and the ones on the drawing are acer are you changing them

and yes i have to much time on my hands

Nice :)

Quick PC question for you. How is your 4 monitor system set up? Do you have a dual output graphics card with splitters? Or is it a fancy 4 output card?

MMUK":2k4o1m5s said:
Nice :)

Quick PC question for you. How is your 4 monitor system set up? Do you have a dual output graphics card with splitters? Or is it a fancy 4 output card?

The video card running the four monitors is nvidia GeForce GTX 680. It has 2x DVI ports 1x HDMI port and 1x DisplayPort the three lower monitors use the DVI and the HDMI port the upper monitor uses the DisplayPort. The three monitors are 1920x1080 resolution each giving a resolution in total 5720x1080 and by the time you see it in the flight sim it's 6020 x 1080 that's what you might say is a rather wide wide screen. :) here is a pic in that resolution
but it's only 1/4 size :) toooo wide for the forum so here's a link http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5492/9167 ... 7069_k.jpg iit's what nvidia call screen surround spanning. :)
Sent from my iPad

Chronosoft":2d81imbr said:
Are you simulating airbus with that setup, by the layout you prefer the right seat as opposed to captains. Be cheaper to get your ppl by the time your done with all that kit :D
No! The joystick I use only comes right handed, I don't like yokes so it's a joystick or nothing. The throttles shown in the first pic on the left is only there to represent a saitek Cessna flight wheel. I am left handed but I have mastered the use of using a right handed joystick.

To answer the other question about the monitors I am using four Dell monitors, the Acers in the pic were downloaded from the Sketchup Warehouse libraries. :)

Hi Paul :) Hi Waka :) Yes it's been a while since I saw you both :) I've been just too busy this summer for doing any woodwork because of my boating. Now winter is here I have a couple of projects to do, so I'll pop in and have a look to see what people are doing. :)

Aaaah....a fellow virtual pilot! here is some shots of my setup:

What sims do you fly? I do Falcon 4 BMS, & FSX mostly. Some DCS as well, but not much time lately....

Cheers, Mark

markturner":jdg0s93f said:
Aaaah....a fellow virtual pilot! here is some shots of my setup:

What sims do you fly? I do Falcon 4 BMS, & FSX mostly. Some DCS as well, but not much time lately....

Cheers, Mark
:) All FSX, I did try XPlane10 but never got on with it, was toying with the idea of trying Prepar3D: Lockheed Martin but the chap who runs the web site FSXTimes has just bought the professional version (£200) and dosen't like it that much. So until something else appears I'll be sticking with FSX. :)

Biscuits cut and left hand plinth glue into place.
Adding the Left Plinth
11434280555_0a737d0bf8_c.jpg

Seven Biscuits cut in the rear rail, and not as easy as it looks because the centre three are not on the same level as the rest so extra care was needed to make sure they were correctly cut.
Adding the Rear Rail
11434276495_bd2f770c0b_c.jpg

Having to wait now a couple of hours before adding the front rail. :)

If your going to be spanning across the monitors and they are all the same model it might be worth removing them from their casing, making a custom housing and installing them edge to edge. That way you could end up with a join of only a couple of millimeters between them.

Gerry

No work done yesterday but today I started fitting the end panels, in this first pic you can see that I've marked out where to cut and clamped both end panels together to be sure they are exactly the same.
11466185776_0afd8a5df3_c.jpg

Cutting the biscuit slots for the left hand panel.
11466191466_6572d3ddae_c.jpg

Left hand panel fixed and glued into position. Braced at the rear to support it until I have fitted the other end and added rails.
11466179306_e8290c5f1f_c.jpg

A few more parts add.

The central divider and rear rail is fitted, here the right hand panel is fitted.

11571657644_2200527a4b_b.jpg

The desktop is fitted, sorry for the out of focus pic.

11571776283_8ce57bd2e7_b.jpg

I've already started marking out the angled front panel to take all the instruments, tomorrow I'll cut it out.

Back